1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

$6 neck!!!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by toadman, Oct 14, 2009.

1. olaftheholy

olaftheholy Tele-Afflicted

shellac then oil?
    or oil en then shellac?

both will end up in a nightmare by the way!

both oil and shellac want to be on bare wood

2. toadman

toadman Tele-Afflicted

thanks for the heads up! this novice stands enlightened!

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nekkid wood, you say?

Shape the neck and headstock, get the neck fitting the body right (make sure your hands are real clean or wear gloves).

Then apply Bartley's grain filler with some color (tan) in it. Buff that out.

Then apply Minwax Tung Oil Varnish. Half dozen applications, following each with a thorough buffing.

You wanna seal that maple in. You can almost bet it is not seasoned or of highly select wood so it is the Last neck you want to leave with next to no finish on it.

4. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

One of these would be ideal for the build I'm doing right now! Right in my price range!

I hope so someone has something good to say about them.

5. j.b.horns

j.b.horns Tele-Meister

I don't think they have truss rods. I was looking at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BRAND-FINGE...emQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item4149277f59

At the bottom, I saw this:

Q: Do these necks have a functioning truss rod installed? Do you Have a reduced shipping rate for multiple neck purchases. These would be coming over seas, are these necks true and straight? Richard Sep-28-09

A: hello,my friend,the neck does not have truss rod installed,please tell me how many ones you would like to buy at once,then i will tell you the shipping fees at all. best wishes yours sincerely Thomas

6. wazupwiopiii

wazupwiopiii Tele-Meister

Do they need fret lvling or any other work done on 'em?

7. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

let's face it, a neck for $6 will be a piece of crap made my some little guy treated like crap.

8. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

think on that cheese they call steel in china stuck in the neck as a truss rod
    think on the potmetal frets
    think on the neck in a years time when all the frets sprout
    dont be fooled

9. wazupwiopiii

wazupwiopiii Tele-Meister

wonder what it takes to install a truss rod?

10. Mr.Reed

Mr.Reed Tele-Afflicted

That sounds very sticky...

11. toadman

toadman Tele-Afflicted

HAHAHA! i didn't even expect to receive a neck at all! i had very low expectaions from a $6 neck from China!! like i said..it was kind of a gamble! so far i've been pleasantly suprised! BTW...mine has a truss rod! we'll just have to see how the potmetal frets hold up;) i have some nice american made tools to fix it all up! i'm quite sure the frets will need leveling!

12. shonco

shonco TDPRI Member

The necks are ok. However, I STRONGLY urge anyone considering buying a Guitar Fetish Build Your Own kit to stay as far away as possible. Friend of mine bought the V kit form them and the body was waaaaaay too small. It was a child sized body. The routing was horrific and the wood was terrible. He ended up burning the body and having a local luthier make him a new one.

13. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Congrats - photos please. And check to see that the truss rod really works. Seems like a great deal for $46. Potmetal frets - come on, that'd be more expensive to make than the real deal. They're probably going to last longer than you'd think. Everything we get nowadays is made in China anyways; it's just if we buy it from an American it feels better (and costs more).

14. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

I have the Guitarfetish unfinished strat style paddle head neck. I love it. It's a thick, chunky baseball bat kinda neck, nice and thick. Plays great. I laid a straight edge across the frets. They looked good, but I always level and crown a new neck. This one was no exception. There were a couple of minor issues. First, the nut was glued on with copious amounts of CA, so much so that even after scoring with a razor blade it took a small amount of rosewood with it on it's way out. I put a bone nut in it's place. Secondly, the heel is slightly thicker than normal(about 1/8"). I didn't measure that the first time I assembled. In order to get proper action over the frets I thinned the heel appropriately with a surform. Other than that it's as I said before, a nice thick chunk of maple. I don't think I'll have any issues with it. If I were building another strat I wouldn't hesitate, especially since I love FAT necks:D. MHO.

15. mchet

mchet Tele-Holic

I bought one of these and they have a truss-rod...

16. shoretyus

shoretyus Tele-Holic

I have one. It does have a truss rod that works. They do come in 7 days. Mine needed a better nut. There were a couple of strings that rattled after I set it to Fender specs. Frets were not to bad. Maybe one or two slightly high but we will see after the nut is installed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

I'm guessing that the person responding to that email hasn't got the slightest clue what a truss rod even is!

Jim

18. j.b.horns

j.b.horns Tele-Meister

Haha, I guess you're right. I might give one of these a shot.

19. fishtownmike

fishtownmike Tele-Meister

That don't look bad. For the price having to do a little fret work is reasonable. I might get me one of these.

20. fishtownmike

fishtownmike Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.