6 metres of sumfink

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mat UK, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Body is pretty much done. I’m fairly pleased with it - the finish leaves a lot to be desired... but I got impatient - just look at it from a distance

The wiring was fairly straight forward but the mounting of the pots took a bit of tuning to get the knobs running/popping smoothly - it was all a bit of a tight fit.

Some pics

Finger selling bracket mounting holes (took a lot of patience!)
    784F99A1-DFB3-4A73-904A-B42A0939F205.jpeg

Routed the wiring from the jack to cavity
    67016E9E-5AF2-4230-9CE4-19B08CEAB91B.jpeg

Harness soldered
    A87C02A5-958F-45C7-B0B4-AC30AC176B08.jpeg

And mounted
    6063514C-F633-4269-A656-1C2ABDBA8A3C.jpeg

I had a quick grounds continuity test and a screw driver tap test on the pickup - everything seems to be ship shape

Hardware mounted
    A01E4136-C97C-4535-8F00-498B9B3EF953.jpeg

And cavity covers fitted
    75C23B82-3FA2-4294-8FE3-F6F9CD823F8D.jpeg

I don’t like cutting/shaping nuts... that’s my next step, wish me luck

MM73, macaroonie, Deed_Poll and 7 others like this.
  2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nuts is tedious, and fraught with opportunity for major foul-up, but oh, so very important to the sound and playability of your guitar. So take care with your nuts so as to not have foul ones, so you can be proud to show your nuts to anyone. If you take care, you can develop the reputation for turning out the best nuts in town. Which, in a town like London, is no small achievement.

Good luck!

Mat UK and Barncaster like this.
  3. Davecam48

Davecam48 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You naughty boy Rick!!!!!! Proud of your nuts indeed! :eek:

Have a great Christmas Rick and Mat. Great looking guitar Mat and don't take the Rickster seriously...........I believe he's an old trouble maker who loves getting others into strife.:lol:

DC

P.S. Next time try a zero fret Mat, and then you wont have to worry about your nuts at all!

4. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Tele-Meister

That stamp is pretty slick. I've been tempted to pull the trigger on one in the past but I've never seen actual results, which yours looked pretty sharp. Care to share a source?

Mat UK likes this.
  5. R. Stratenstein

I suppose Brainy's influence will remain for some time, then I will revert to infantile junior high-school low-$brow humor.

Merry Christmas to you guys, also!

6. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Ha! That’s the one of the best pep talks I’ve ever received! Thanks; in my hands, my nuts will be given a great deal of care and attention... I will endeavour to post up some pics of the end result.

7. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Cheers Dave, I will take that as an instruction, so on the next build I will do just that - from zero to hero :)

8. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Happy to mate, although I hark from the UK - so it might not be much use to you. It cost me £16... which is relatively pricey, I’m sure you could find something cheaper in the States.

https://www.rubberstamps.co.uk/default.aspx

It was a simple process: create a hires B&W jpeg of the logo/image; upload it to the website; size is to your preference; check the preview; hit buy.

The most important thing to consider is the type of ink you use - the standard stamp ink I received bled into the grain very badly; this is the stuff I ended up using and after a bit of practise it came out very well - even on unsealed wood.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...i=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=versicraft+ink

Go for it

9. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Merry Xmas chaps!

10. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Jeez this threads getting big... doesn’t really warrant the lack of progress!

Got me some bits for the Jag style.

Locking trem: probably ‘Chinese’ made. Seems robust.

0DBF7BDE-1C43-40C3-980E-723C0F5C4600.jpeg

At least robust enough for me to pull it apart... makes me feel like I understand it more now... and acts as a proof of theory for what I have planned for it.

8211170B-A955-4EB2-A1B9-491DEA6D5FD3.jpeg

Also got some pickguard material, control plate material, and some radius gauges.

D92AF8EF-E316-4EA4-A473-4C7303B0B01B.jpeg

At ease.

Barncaster likes this.
  11. R. Stratenstein

Little Mat must have been a good boy this year, Father Christmas brought goodies instead of switches and a lump of coal! Speaking of which, stay tuned to this channel for my upcoming switch-and-coal-Caster build.:(

Mat UK likes this.
  12. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Ha, I was sooo good this Xmas I make the conscious effort not to ask for tools/guitar bits... I got practical things, like mugs...

This is one of those times where you think to yourself ‘there’s only one way to ensure the progress of this haulting build... spend more money!’

Oh now, don’t go hijacking my thread with any of your grade A switch and coal luthiery - there’s not enough capacity for proper builders that actually finish builds in these here parts. This thread is just an exercise in the old carrot and stick, if I could I would rename it ‘What’s still on your workbench’. So yeh, start your own thread - it’s about time you built another guitar or two.

Words.

13. R. Stratenstein

:p Yes, has anyone ever spoiled a build by putting too much money into it?

Cagey strategy not to ask for guitar-related stuff. One does need mugs, I suppose, so as to contemplate one’s stalled build on the bench over a cuppa.;)

I shall not derail your thread or any other, with a Switchencoal-caster. Next up will be my long-delayed Jaguar, unless I become motivated enough to replace my hurricane-demolished shed with a garage that meets Mrs. Stratenstein’s approval. So many opportunities.

Barncaster and Mat UK like this.
  14. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Yeh... I keep forgetting about your lack of a functional workshop... it’s a good excuse anyway ;-)

15. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

Digging your control set up and strap button socket scheme. Makes for a 'clean' look from the front.

Mat UK likes this.
  16. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Thanks you sir. It’s come out nicely. I might even consider doing it again in the future

17. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Looks great as of the last pics I can find...12/23. Seemed like the electric innards were working too. I think the necks were pretty much done last fall.

So, um...<tapping my keyboard>...do you have a guitar to show off?

Mat UK likes this.
  18. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Ha, keeping tabs on me, are we? If you’ve got a problem with my pace of work you best speak to my line manager...

I posted up a couple of pics in ‘What’s on your workbench’ a week or two ago - forgot to update it here.

C0FEE773-ED7C-4301-BF48-454C1D0822DC.jpeg

8D1005F0-DB9E-434B-98D1-9276B5243342.jpeg

At the time, this was with the nut roughed in with no setup, electronics fully working and knobs popping out nicely.

Now, I’m pretty much done with the nut and general setup. Just need to do a final shaping of the nut. I’m not sold on the action yet, it’s a tad too high for me so that’ll take a tweak. I also need to install a string tree or two... so almost there!

19. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

I'm a cross cut saw
    Just drag me 'cross your log
    ~ Albert King

Mat UK likes this.
  20. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

It's always good when the knobs are popping out nicely!
    Cheers,
    Woody

Mat UK likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.