6.3 lb Strat? Should I build it? Or not?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ladave, Feb 1, 2019.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Hard to say always, but coincidentally, both my "keeper" strats are quite heavy and very resonant. 8.5# + These 2 are the creme that rose to the top of probably a dozen strat purchases over the years.
    But hey, I had an ash Tele that was light and killer....

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  2. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

LADave,

I don't think you can make a bad body with that chunk 'o' Warmoth Ash ya got there! I'm sure it's gonna be Killer! ;) Please keep us all posted on how you're progress goes.

I envy ya gettin' to work in the warmer weather y'all have down there. The body I have primered to be my Olympic White body will probably sit until late April/earlyMay, until I can reliably have warm enough temps & hopefully low enough humidity to spray outside. :(

Unless I decide I like dull, flat white better than Oly White....... :lol:

ladave likes this.
  3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I build the lightest guitars I can. To me Paulowina and Basswood make awesome guitars. Do it! Deal with neck dive the way violin players do...

ladave likes this.
  4. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

That should turn out to be quite a nice Strat! I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing about the final result.

ladave likes this.
  5. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

I say build it. Then play the heck out of it. The mojo alone should add at least a pound
    And if you decide you’re not happy after it’s built you could give it to me..... as a favor to you of course.

ladave likes this.
  6. Scotty2Hottie

Scotty2Hottie TDPRI Member

A two tone sunburst nitro finish would look awesome on that body. I would think it would be most disrespectful to the TDPRI community if you did not post pictures after you have it finished. Must include pictures of the back.

ladave and Mr. Neutron like this.
  7. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Wow. I guess you will really appreciate it after having to wait that long. It's actually felt a bit like Oregon down here lately with the amount of rain. And I actually had to wait for some warmer and drier weather to finish my bass body.

Unfortunately I got excited about a specific color (Cadillac Metallic Green) then I discovered the Cadillac Green that Reranch has is a completely different color.

I was really set on that particular color and it doesn't look like there is anything close that is available in a Nitro Aerosol.

Now I have to wait to be inspired again.

8. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

look at it this way - you could always add weight to it. personally don't think there is such a thing as too light. maybe on a sg... have had some neck dive issues w those, but never seen it on a strat.

ladave likes this.
  9. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

Dave, one option I'm certain you have there (if you're going to paint with an aerosol rattle can) would be to go to an automotive parts store with a paint department. They can mix you some paint to whatever paint code fits Cadillac Metallic Green, or whatever you'd want, in a rattle can. That's how I'm going to do my Olympic White body, one of these days....... :rolleyes:

The paint guy at my local Advance Auto Parts is a huge help with advice for my whole process, with regards to drying time, compatible topcoat, and etc.. Maybe they sell inspiration there?

Probably be a better place to get inspired than the liquor store..... Maybe...... maybe not...... :D

10. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Hi Jimmie,

I've never seen a paint department in an autoparts store down here but they must have them somewhere. Thing is I'm kind of set on doing it in Nitro.

I guess I'm going to go with Inca Silver instead.

My first attempt at grain filling isnt going so well. I knew the first coat wasn't well done so I did a second coat. After the sanding sealer I could still see some little holes so i tried to touch those up. Now i have sanded and primered and still there are a couple of little spots where the grain is not filled.

Need to work on my techinique I guess.

11. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Update: Spent Sunday binge building. Almost finished!

IMG_2040.JPG

Chunkocaster and awasson like this.
  12. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

What's the sound like? I remember seeing John Suhr saying something about really light guitars lacking low end.

13. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

I need to make a nut tonight so I will report back after I get it completed and set up.

Right now the guitar is 6 lbs 6 oz without strings and strap locks.

Had some reservations about this build be potentially too light, but I have to say the weight and balance feels great. We'll see about the tone.

awasson likes this.
  14. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

Exciting! Look forward to the report.

15. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My lightest Strat is the most resonant. It’s a 2-piece alder body with quartersawn one pice maple neck but it should be similar in weight to resonance to ash. I’ll bet it weighs even less than yours by half a pound. It sustains forever acoustically and is the best sounding of my Strats electrically (great pickups).

I’m really just posting so I can hear how you like it. It looks pretty good from what I’m seeing.

16. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Mine definitely resonates. I can feel the vibration against my chest when playing seated.

I'm still sorting things out on this...been really busy. Cut one of the nut slots too deep. It's only my second nut, still learning. Going to make a new one tonight.

I'm uncertain about the tone at this point and was thinking of making a new thread about this. What causes "piano" tone? The first few frets on the E & A string make the most pianolike tone I have ever heard from a guitar that I have had. Kind of neat but not particularly what I was going for.

I don't think I can evaluate things too much yet until I get a proper nut installed and everything setup but first impression on tone is not thrilled.

I already see myself starting to change things out to experiment with tone. Maybe trying a Tusk nut instead of bone first.

17. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've only ever used Tusq nuts. I'm pretty good at bolting things together but I'm not experienced in scratch building yet so Tusq are a great product for my skill level. IMO are a really good product.

Hmm... That's discouraging. What pickups are you using. Are they something you're familiar with and have had success with in other Strats? I had a hard time with a strat that had super low action. It wasn't low enough that you'd hear the slapping of the strings on the frets acoustically but it was definitely messing with the tone when plugged in. Eventually I raised the saddles just the smallest amount and it sweetened up.

ladave likes this.
  18. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't build it. 6.3 lbs is too light for a Fender.
    You could probably sell that body for more to someone who has a light weight guitar fetish.

ladave likes this.
  19. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

Dave,

The TUSQ nut blanks are great to work with. On a guitar with a trem that only sees a small amount of use, once everything is setup, they work really well for staying in tune.

They're inexpensive too, which is nice. Even though they're easy to file, I still needed a couple of their blanks to make one good one. Cutting a good nut is both an art and a science, with possibly some voodoo of some sort thrown in. And more patience than anything else..... :confused: :)

ladave likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.