1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5W Tube w/trem & reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by kdmerchant, Mar 9, 2008.

1. kdmerchant

kdmerchant TDPRI Member

I need a quiet all tube amp with reverb and tremolo. I like warm and chunky sounds and play blues, indie and rockabilly music. Currently I have a RI Deluxe Reverb that is not quiet enough for after I get the kids to bed... it's either silent or it jumps up in volume at 2. I like the $299 gibson tube amp but it doesn't have the effects I need. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. bowlfreshener

bowlfreshener Friend of Leo's

5 Watts may still not be quiet enough after the kids go to bed. I have 4 5-Watt tube amps that can make the floor vibrate only being on 4-5. I think Blackheart is coming out with a 1watt amp, that might be more suitable for after the kids go to sleep, but I don't think it has any effects...This may sound crazy, but if its just for late night practices, you may want to look into those Boss Fender amp pedals, then something low wattage and solid-state, as that might be the only way to keep the volume low while the kids are sleeping...

3. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

What about a SF Vibro-Champ on 3, amp on for a half-hour to sag properly, guitar about half volume....

4. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

Peavey? 5 watt reverb, but no trem.

Carvin? 5/16 watt trem, but no reverb.

5. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Underground practice room outside the house?

Or...

[​IMG]
    Seymour Duncan SFX-03? Run the output into your existing setup and keep the volume down on that?

Or maybe...

[​IMG]
    ZVex Nano?

Just because no matter what, 5 watts running loud enough for distortion is gonna be too loud for the wife and kids.

6. voided3

voided3 Tele-Afflicted

I have a 5 watt Epi VJr. stack I have used on gigs unmic'd so it's going to get loud when you need it to, but a 5 watter will have much more of a dynamic range lower on the dial than your Deluxe. Basically though, you'll still have the volume pretty quiet. Can't you just set your amp's volume at the point where it just kicks in and then use any pedal with a volume control to fine tune it, or even your guitar's volume knob? This is what I do with my VJr. when I use it for quiet practice; I use either my EQ pedal or my Boss DS-1 as a volume fine tuner. I suppose if you're looking for natural amp overdrive though, you might want to consider an attenuator. Good luck!

P.S- the Epiphone Valve Special combo has 16 DSP effects built in plus reverb and also is 5 watts. The Fender VibroChamp XD also has a bunch of effects and is 5 watts.

7. klast

klast Tele-Meister

I have an Epi Valve Special and it provides a relatively nice bluesy sort of crunch at "home" volume thanks to the gain/master. The reverb is OK and the delay is acceptable on the lower settings. Don't like the chorus and flanger, though.

I also have an Epi VJ combo, which provides a better clean sound than the VS. So, for clean I use that with a Zoom G2.1u in front for delay and tremolo.

Klas

8. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Get any amp you want and if it does not have reverb and tremlo no big deal get a Digitech RP series pedal and they have a headphone out so you can just use the pedal and jam when the kids are asleep and when they are not the pedal will give you all the effects you need for amp that does not have effects and it sounds pretty darn good too. I have 2 RP 50's and a 80 and I have one of the 50's set for just reverb for my 5e3 and it sounds great or I can add what ever other effect I want too like tremlo or chorus ect.

9. Brick

Brick Tele-Holic

If money is no object

The Carr Mercury is amazing. Attenuates down to something like 1/10th watt.

10. teleclarkster

teleclarkster Tele-Holic

Swart Space Tone Reverb

It's a little pricey, but this would get my vote for a great 5 watter.

SpaceTone

11. Jim L

Jim L Tele-Meister

not much new to add

I have a 5-watt Silvertone 1471 (single 8" speaker combo, no verb or trem) which, when cranked, gives some glorious tone. But it's still too loud to not bother the family, even in the basement.

I might even consider getting an attenuator that could serve both the silvertone, and the 5e3 I'm having made for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.