1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5W tube amps personal experience?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by kuvash, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

I've tried several small 5 watt amps. The only one that sounded 'right' was the Laney Lionheart L5. It isn't boxy or dark, has a nice sparkle and takes pedals really well. I own the L5s and it has become my goto. I have a Helix LT that is amazing but it hasn't been used much since I got the L5s. The Laney has many cool features, but the sound is the real star of the show.

2. dcjtele

dcjtele NEW MEMBER!

Sundown ST-5 5 watt combo with one 12AX7, one EL-84 and 8 inch speaker. Does anyone have any experience with that amp?

3. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

Very dark...how?

Dark with Humbuckers? Single coils?

Did yours have the original Bugera speaker of the first revision? The Turbosound? Aftermarket speaker?

I've owned 2 of these combos (still own one), one with the stock Turbosound speaker, and one with a Warehouse Alnico 8. While the Turbosound isn't as bright as the Warehouse, neither amp would be considered "very dark."

Now, granted, most of my guitars are equipped with single coils, but even my chambered Tele with what is a fairly dark sounding neck humbucker, I still get proper articulation, and don't get lost in a mix.

So do you have concrete examples, or are you just parroting back what you've read elsewhere?

4. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

If the OP is set on EL84, the Picovalve will need a tube adapter, as it can't take EL84s.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.