1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5W tube amps personal experience?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by kuvash, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

The Vox has solid state effects and amp models running through a real tube. It sounds like a all tube amplifier. Guitar tuner, Leslie speaker rotary, effects, nice reverb. I got it free by a family member buying it for my birthday one year. They paid a little over a 100 dollar used. It is really nice new or used for the price. And sounds great through the real tube.

ZackyDog likes this.
  2. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

The VHT Special 6 as a 1x10 Combo, or Ultra as a 1x12. At 6 watts is it over your 5 watt spec, but the Ultra has a Watts control to bring it down to whatever level you wish.

They come with a 12AX7 and a 6V6, which is great, but not what you wanted. However they are designed to run with an EL84 using an adaptor produced by VHT. Just take out the 6V6, plug the adaptor into the tube socket and the EL84 into the adaptor, and away you go, giving you the best of both worlds for very little cash.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/VHT/Special-6-EL84-Adapter.gc

3. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

If you don't mind a second pre-amp valve the Marshall Class 5 is another to be considered, though I have never owned or played through one.

4. knh555

knh555 Tele-Holic

Fender 5f2a clone ('57 Princeton tweed). I love mine. Class A amp at about 6 watts that's a joy to play. Plenty loud and pairs great with my Princeton 65 RI.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

Can I ask which circuit you used? I'm in the middle of converting a Newcomb chassis which looks exactly like yours. I just widened the hole for a 12AX7.

6. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic

Something like the Jet City Pico Valve or the Booger, excuse me, the Bugera T5 Infinium...both 5W simple.

The Pico Valve offers the ability to use pretty much any power tube and the T5 has reverb...albeit cheesy reverb.

gwjensen likes this.
  7. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

By the way in just so everyone knows - I want one of those Gremlins. Always did, still do. Just sayin'.

8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The Super Champ XD uses two 6V6 power tubes, and it has a digital/solid state (modeling) preamp. The single 12AX7 is not the a preamp tube. One triode is the phase inverter for the power tubes, and the other is a gain stage, but it has minimal effect on the tone because it's in the power section of the amp.

rangercaster likes this.
  9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I've had a few 5 watt tube amps. Epi Valve Jr, Blackheart Little Giant, BF Champ clone, couple of others I think. Personally I think they can sound good at crunchy type gain settings - clean they are sterile, dimed they are just not my sound (about to blow type sound). But in the range they sound their best, they are pretty much too loud for typical solo practice but not nearly loud enough for band settings without micing. On a recording, or if I didn't mind micing an amp every time I played with others, ok fine, brilliant in fact.

That's been my experience across the board - the various amps sound different but their sweet spot doesn't coincide with how I need to use them.

Alter, Marc Morfei and kuvash like this.
  10. Kitarkus

Kitarkus Tele-Meister

I just went down the rabbit hole looking at this gremlin. Nice amp!

11. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Heavily modded Champ 600 with a weber speaker. Too loud for the house, too quite for a band.

12. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I have quite enjoyed my small 5W-ish size tube amps. If you had been on an earlier stompbox run, all the better. Having a good variety of pedals is fun with bare bones stripped down 5W amps. The 5F1 Champ, the 5D2 & 5F2A Tweed Princetons, as well as the Epiphone Valve Jr and a ‘68 Vibro Champ have all passed thru my hands. I owned them all at various times. Today I just have the 5D2. Every smaller 5W amp I have owned has benefited greatly from a EQ pedal out front. The warmth and compression of a tube amp is very nice. All were fun amps. I’m still in the Honeymoon stage with my ‘53 5D2. I acquired it in April 2019. I’m still enjoying it immensely. It may be the one I hang on to the longest.

13. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Marshall Origin, ORI5C. I've not seen a schematic, but for all intents and purposes, it appears to be an upgraded Class5 and that Class5 was a great amp that simply needed some of the bells and whistles of this ORI5C!
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ORI5C--marshall-origin-ori5c-5-watt-1x8-inch-tube-combo-amp

Most of the time, I would likely use it as a head, but the on board speaker is not too bad for quick, at home noodlin'! For my $$$ and tastes, this is the star of the Origin show and I believe they can be had for considerably less than at the candy store!

Just My $.02,
    Gene

14. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

15. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I see that the footswitch isn't included in the Amazon deal, so it's sort of a wash.

16. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

This!!!

17. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

kuvash and jackinjax like this.
  18. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I love my Gibson GA-5 Skylark (circa '63). Violent, piercing little amp. Power switch and volume are all it has for controls. It hasn't eaten any tubes yet, so I don't know what they are...but I know I like it. It can be nicely warmed up with careful use of a guitar's onboard tone and volume knobs. I added an external speaker jack, and that was really a game changer. Really opens the amp's tonal range up putting it through different cabs.

19. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

I hated the vht special 6. Thing was a hum machine. Have a qualified builder make you what you want.

20. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

I had an AC4 and enjoyed it. Then I bought an AC10, it is so much better in every respect.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.