1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5G9 Tremolux Finally Finished

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by jmp81sc, Oct 21, 2020.

1. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

HI Everyone,
    Thought I would post a couple of pics of my 5G9 build. This amp was a long time coming, and was not easy. This was my first build without a Kit and I made some mistakes.

I built it originally in a chassis for a VHT amp I got really cheap, but I didn't like the form factor and my fabrication work was really crude. I decided to rehouse it in a Hammond 3x8x16 chassis. After getting it rehoused, it was kind of noisy and I didn't like my ground bus so I basically rewired it again. Much better noise floor after that.

I still had some issues with my volume control interaction and trem controls, but by just adding a footswitch into the loop it basically cleared it up.

I hemmed and hawed about the wood and style of my cabinet, and decided just to go with some oak from Lowes. I used wood dyes and some gel stain for the color then used tru-oil to finish it.

This is my favorite amp now. The tremolo is fantastic and all my guitars sound good through it. It takes pedals great. I think if more people were exposed to this amp you would see a lot more of these then 5E3's being built. To me it is the pinnacle of 2 x 6V6 tweeds, and has a lot in common with the 5F6a Bassman, what I consider to be the pinnacle of 2 x 6L6 tweeds. This of course is my opinion on what I like to hear and the mostly clean punchy sound I like.

It is way easier to dial in a good sound than my 5E3 that I recently built. With the 5E3 I have to play with volume and tone on the amp and my guitars to get to the sweet spot, not so much with the 5G9.

Take Care
    John

IMG_0980.jpg IMG_0983.jpg

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

A great report! Love it! Enjoy!

3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Congrats! It looks fantastic - and your perseverance paid off.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Kudos. In what respects is it similar to the 5F6A...with regard to the circuit?

5. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Beautiful cabinet!! Lots of work there...

6. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

Similar power section; long tail pair inverter, fixed bias, filter choke, power filter capacitors. No feedback or presence control for the 5G9.

The input through the tone stack and volume controls is the same as the 5E3.

I found the low E string to be louder and out of balance with the rest of strings so I did change the .1 input coupling caps to .02.

Wally likes this.
  7. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Care to share a gut shot or layout?

8. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

Thanks Everyone,
    Here are some gut shots. I forgot to get final photos but here are some I took. I redid the ground bus with better wire and cleaned up the grounding wiring.

That electrical tape was temporary to keep the tremolo wire from moving for noise reduction. I ended up moving wires around and using a zip tie to keep them in place. This build was very sensitive to the lead dress around the trem valve V3 - blue wires.
    Take Care
    John

IMG_0932.jpg IMG_0933.jpg IMG_0934.jpg IMG_0935.jpg IMG_0936.jpg IMG_0937.jpg IMG_0938.jpg IMG_0939.jpg IMG_0940.jpg IMG_0941.jpg

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  9. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

Nice job, love the wood work, great finish rich colour

RoscoeElegante likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.