1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5G9, 6g3, or 1974 build?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by JamesAM, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

You won’t be diming the 6g3...it falls apart up around 9-10. You will love it around 7 on the Bright channel or with channels jumpered with both volumes on 5. LilDawg makes a killer clone.

JamesAM likes this.
  2. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

IMO, the the downside to pairing a brown deluxe with a 5e3 is that it will make the Tweed seem lame... I've built both I was never happy with the 5e3, and found myself constantly modding it, to the point that it has become something close to a tweedle Dee. My 6g3 based amp (slightly modified from stock to be a single channel version with a presence control) by contrast always blows me away after having not used it for a while with how good it sounds, never disappointing.

JamesAM likes this.
  3. ocduff

ocduff Tele-Meister

I’ve built versions of all the amps mentioned above and so I think I have an idea of what OP might be looking for.

I think a 6G3 is the best and most trouble free design. You won’t be tweaking anything. No artifacts in the sound if you stick to original design. I think it’s KING of the small single tone control 1x12” amps.

A Presence control is nice to add sparkle. Can be added on back panel. A cathode bias switch is also nice. Plus with tube adapters you can run EL84, and then it’s just gain city. Add a NFB switch and really, you’re into Marshall 18 territory and then some.

I like a 6G3 with a soft and inefficient sounding alnico speaker.

I prefer amps with a tone stack and treble and bass controls - not to be able to adjust them but I think they sound less raw and a bit more laid back.

But I do think 6G3 is a perfect design. Damn, now I want another one. I also want another 5E3 - those are so loose and gooey feeling, if not a bit archaic sounding. Love them both.

Lastly, I WISH a supplier would step up and make a zinc plated 6G3 chassis and similar. The ones I always got from suppliers were all same, “galvaneal” which is a metalicized paint process where it is sprayed lightly onto carbon steel. It’s not galvanized, or certainly not the quality of a dipped product. The things will rust everywhere you touched them if you live in a humid place. That’s unacceptable if you are trying to sell them to a customer or to make for a friend working musician. Here’s you’re new rusty amp!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    JamesAM and tubegeek like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.