1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5F6 chassis mounting dimensions query

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by buddy_coles, Apr 14, 2021.

1. buddy_coles

buddy_coles TDPRI Member

Hi All, I found this post that shows a Weber chassis dimensioned drawing for a variety of tweed amps, and wondered if anyone could help me out with dimensions and spacing for chassis mounting holes in my tweed cabinet please?

It looks like the Weber drawing shows 17.5" between mounting holes, which seems reasonable - is anyone able to confirm whether this is correct for any genuine Fender amps please? I have made my own chassis but not yet drilled the mounting holes in the chassis or the cab, and I want to make sure the cab could potentially accept a different chassis later in life without having to drill any more holes :D

Also, could anyone tell me the front-to-rear distance between mounting screws for the third screw that holds the transformer support bracket please, as per this thread?

Thanks in advance - I'm thinking that if I am drilling holes in the cabinet, they may as well be in the 'right' place...

2. Junior Little

Junior Little Tele-Meister

@buddy_coles :
    My reissue Bassman measures 19" center to center for the chassis mounting holes.
    As mentioned in the thread you supplied, the third mounting screw is for "authenticity" purposes in a reissue cab; its there for looks. On the reissue cab the support bracket mounts on the inside of the cab witha rubber pad to prevent metal on metal contact. In my view the way the reissues did it is much easier to deal with as it allows the PT to sit on top of it rather than trying to wrangle a bolt through the bracket attached to the PT.
    But, if you still want to use the strap as in the vintage correct cabs, the measurements are: 4" back from the front of the cab, and 2.25" from the edge. Of course, it may need some adjustments depending on the size of your PT. One more reason to forego it and use the method applied in the reissue cab.
    Hope this helps!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Wally and buddy_coles like this.
  3. buddy_coles

buddy_coles TDPRI Member

Thanks Junior, that's a big help. I think I may sacrifice authenticity for convenience in that case - and it saves drilling through the tweed!

Junior Little likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.