5F4 Treble Pot and Capacitor Values

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by mjcyates, Jan 25, 2020.

1. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

I had to replace the treble pot and capacitor on a 5F4 but I did not have the stock values. The stock value of the pot is 1 meg and the stock value of the capacitor is .01 uf. I replaced them with a 500k pot and a .1 uf capacitor. What would the expected results of this change be?

2. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

You'll have to confirm this for yourself, and maybe someone else will chime in, but I think that this Tone Stack Calculator represents the 5F4 tone stack. I'm not sure why it is called "E Series".

https://www.guitarscience.net/tsc/eseries.htm

If I'm not way wrong, then you can plug in your values (your mix of stock plus mods) and see what the EQ looks like before and after the change.

King Fan likes this.
  3. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

Thanks, anyone else have any thoughts?

4. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Meister

The result will change the cut-off frequency of the circuit involved. It won't hurt anything.

The pot is part of a RC circuit. The cap is as well.

As mentioned above, you can plug the values into a tone stack calculator.

You can search for "Low pass filter calculator" or "High pass filter calculator". Just plug in your values to come up with the cut-off frequency.

Or, you can do the maths.

King Fan likes this.
  5. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Not perfectly understanding the electronics, and having seen Supers listed online for thousands of $, my lazy approach would be to throw a picture or two of Abe Lincoln at the problem. :)

Doug Hoffman sells great pots for $2 to $4, a Mallory cap for $1.60, and ships priority mail very cheaply -- my orders usually arrive across the country two days after I hit 'Submit.'

6. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Meister

The highs will roll off quickly. Barely moving the pot will make a big change in treble.

7. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I know it wouldn't be a big deal to buy the right parts and put it back to stock. I was really just curious if it would impact/effect anything other than the treble response. Thanks again.

8. cobaltu

cobaltu Tele-Meister

It would make the RC interaction the same for that particular capacitor and resistor(potentiometer), but a tone stack is a network of these filters. If you change the pot, the whole tone stack would change a bit as well. Also changing the pot would also change the loading of the tone stack as well, witch would likely affect the gain and 'feel' of the amp as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.