5f4 / 5e7 build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by theprofessor, Feb 2, 2019.

1. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

hmm see below

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Benvenuto, amico. :)

You're right, good eye... those small upgrades and updates are all potentially useful.
    • Adjustable bias -- a very useful, convenient way to help you set your amp to run 'best.' Not a mod to the original sound, but a modern way to avoid having to replace resistors to set the all-important power tube bias to save your tubes and get the best sound.
    • Rectifier diodes -- these are simply protection against possible tube failure damaging your circuit. Easy, minor, and definitely will not alter the sound.
    • The 470R 'screen resistors' from pin 4 to 6 on the power tubes are an 'update' that adds protection and may improve the overdrive tone.
    • If I'm seeing right, the 1.5K control grid resistors connect to the 220 K either way. Recall pin 6 in inactive in these tubes, so that lug is just a tie point. Tying it to pin 6 is probably more physically stable than hanging it in the air.

Paul-T likes this.
  3. ginomolinari

ginomolinari TDPRI Member

Grazie!
    Ok, think I’ve got the gist. But I cannot see from the updated layout what kind of diodes are used and the pins to connect them to. Can you shade some light?
    Thanks.
    i am ordering some missing parts and I will start a new tread on my build. Hopefully it wont look too amateurish. :)

4. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

For the diodes, and in fact all the items we discussed, you can hunt up good info on Rob Robinette's amazing pages, especially on 5e3 and 5f6a mods.

upload_2019-10-11_15-2-44.jpeg

BigDaddy23 likes this.
  5. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Meister

^ This.......

Rob's pages explain all of those tweaks and are immensely useful to any amp builder.

6. ginomolinari

ginomolinari TDPRI Member

Thanks guys. I have been reading alot on his website. I didnt think those mods were compatible with different amps. I guess I have a lot to learn.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.