5f4 / 5e7 build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by theprofessor, Feb 2, 2019.

1. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

hmm see below

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  2. King Fan

Benvenuto, amico. :)

You're right, good eye... those small upgrades and updates are all potentially useful.
    • Adjustable bias -- a very useful, convenient way to help you set your amp to run 'best.' Not a mod to the original sound, but a modern way to avoid having to replace resistors to set the all-important power tube bias to save your tubes and get the best sound.
    • Rectifier diodes -- these are simply protection against possible tube failure damaging your circuit. Easy, minor, and definitely will not alter the sound.
    • The 470R 'screen resistors' from pin 4 to 6 on the power tubes are an 'update' that adds protection and may improve the overdrive tone.
    • If I'm seeing right, the 1.5K control grid resistors connect to the 220 K either way. Recall pin 6 in inactive in these tubes, so that lug is just a tie point. Tying it to pin 6 is probably more physically stable than hanging it in the air.

Paul-T likes this.
  3. ginomolinari

ginomolinari Tele-Meister

Grazie!
    Ok, think I’ve got the gist. But I cannot see from the updated layout what kind of diodes are used and the pins to connect them to. Can you shade some light?
    Thanks.
    i am ordering some missing parts and I will start a new tread on my build. Hopefully it wont look too amateurish. :)

4. King Fan

For the diodes, and in fact all the items we discussed, you can hunt up good info on Rob Robinette's amazing pages, especially on 5e3 and 5f6a mods.

upload_2019-10-11_15-2-44.jpeg

BigDaddy23 likes this.
  5. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Holic

^ This.......

Rob's pages explain all of those tweaks and are immensely useful to any amp builder.

6. ginomolinari

ginomolinari Tele-Meister

Thanks guys. I have been reading alot on his website. I didnt think those mods were compatible with different amps. I guess I have a lot to learn.

7. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Well I'm not not doing that again! That is, I'm always doing this:

I added the 1Ω 1% tolerance resistors to the power tube sockets between pin 1 (which is tied together with pin 8) and ground. I have tried other ways of taking bias measurements, and this is by far the easiest. Get your plate voltages in DCV from pin 3 on each power tube socket, then measure across the 1Ω resistor (from one end of the resistor to the other) in DCV, which will give you a negative number but which will be identical to the plate current in mA as a positive number.

IMG_2441.JPG

Paul G., King Fan, Axis29 and 2 others like this.
  8. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Best $1 component addition to any fixed bias circuit!:D

Paul G., Axis29 and Nickfl like this.
  9. theprofessor

Agreed! I ordered 20 of them from Doug Hoffman, just to have them on hand for this very purpose.

Axis29 likes this.
  10. King Fan

You said it, Prof. And of course I agree with @D'tar . Best simple mod in the universe.

theprofessor likes this.
  11. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I don't do this (yet), but I know a guy that does. Get a red sharpie. When all soldering is complete on a turret (or eyelet), and checked, then add a red dot.

12. theprofessor

That's a really good idea. Thanks! It's easy to lose track, especially when there are a lot fairly close together, and they're not laid out in a linear fashion.

13. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I do this on a paper layout... I use different color pens for different steps. As I lay out all the components and jumpers, I mark the length of the wire or component, then mark each solder joint as it's done as well. Adds a little time to the front end, but has spared me untold hours of troubleshooting on the back end!

D'tar, Paul G. and theprofessor like this.
  14. Tom Kamphuys

Tom Kamphuys Tele-Holic

I use the transparency in DIYLC. Everything processed is set to 10%. Things you forgot pop out.

King Fan, Axis29 and theprofessor like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.