1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5f2a with 6l6 and what preamp

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Mongo Park, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Afflicted

So yes this isn’t much like the original in any way by the time it will be done.
    Still working on the 6l6 power tube and the iron to run it. Previous build that inspired me used a 12AY7 I believe.
    Given the option would you use a 12AY7 or a 6SL7. Any opinion of which would work best in your opinion.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  2. NTC

NTC Tele-Meister

6SL7 has more gain than a 12AY7. I like the sound of octal preamp tubes, ao that is my vote.

3. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

I have not used 6SL7 but if I do I will use DC filament. I understand they can hum more than 12A-series tubes when using 6,3VAC and 12A- series tube two heaters alternating currents somewhat counteract each others.

If you have used 6,3VAC filament with 6SL7 have your amp hum more?

I have two 10w...12W SE amps, other has Hammond 125D and other Mennovanderveen VDV-2512-SEE which is toroidal OPT. I am building now 5F2A which will have also FB and MV pots and use Hammond 1750E but although being 10W it looks too small so I aim to about 8W and will use 6L6A tube which is 19W tube. 23W 5881 should make it 10W so I can test it as well.

I use toroidal PTs because they are cheap, light, small and their electromagnetic stray field is smaller and I believe better for SE amps which are more prone to AC based hum although filtering might have more influence there. There is AnTek brand in NJ USA who sell tube toroids starting $30 but getting them to Winnibec might double the price? :( eh now I remember NA trade acreement was done again!

Anyway Hammond should invest development to toroid market...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  4. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Afflicted

I am wanting to try a 6SL7 bit it might not be right for this project. I may have less headaches with going with a 12ay7 which I am more familiar wilt and do a 6SL7 project later.
    Thank for the mission the 6SL7.

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.