5F2A Output Transformer

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by HBamps, May 18, 2020.

1. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

I am getting started on a 5F2A combo and have been looking at OT options all morning. I was set on getting a Mercury Magnetics one as I felt it would surely provide the beast tone. But after reading a bunch I am not sure that is the case. I decided to go with the Classictone 40-18019 for power and am considering the 40-18030 for the OT.

Does anyone have an opinion here? The MM OT is like $70 more but if it clearly sounds better, I'm ok with it. Anybody use both?

Thanks in advance.

Tele Slacker likes this.
  2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I have no issues with either company, having used many from both, both as replacements and in custom builds.

HBamps likes this.
  3. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted

I have no doubt that the MM would work well, but if you are going for an accurate representation of the 5f2a tone, The Classictone is manufactured much more like the originals were.

4. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

I use the classictones, but they are hard to come by.

5. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

I like ClassicTone a lot -- but yeah, they weren't winding (they're in Chicago) and were backordered a month ago. I'd check with TubeDepot, they're very good at communication and will have the best idea when these are gonna show back up in the supply chain.

6. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

I didn't consider them not being available. That's a factor... Thanks for the heads up

7. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I've used three sets of Classictone transformers and would recommend them without hesitation. Availability is important, though.

HBamps likes this.
  8. Tele Slacker

Tele Slacker Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Just curious: how do Classictone and Hammond compare in quality and reputation? I have not yet used ClassicTone in any builds, but have migrated toward Hammond (and been very pleased thus far).

9. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Ive used a boatload of classictones, no quality issues. Ive recently switched to hammond and found them to be excellent too, I will be using their power transformers even when the classictones are available again.

Tele Slacker and corliss1 like this.
  10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The Mercury Magnetic is no doubt premium quality etc. However, bear in mind the originals were a common garden variety item. They weren't rubbish but they were not premium either. So 'better' - how do you define that? There's only so much you can get out of a single tube amp. It will sound like what it sounds like. It'll sound good with either, and last a long time.

Tele Slacker, Nickfl and King Fan like this.
  11. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

I have used Classictone and Hammond and found them both to be excellent products. No experience with Mercury Magnetics.

12. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

Agree, longtime ClassicTone, then covid pushed me to try a Hammond, now I like them both.

Tele Slacker and corliss1 like this.
  13. Badside

Badside Tele-Meister

I've bought a couple dozen Hammond transformers over the years and I have nothing but good things to say about their guitar amp line of transformers.

If you go back over a decade ago, Hammond had a bit of a bad reputation for guitarists because they only had their generic "hifi" transformers. Those were sort of overbuilt and overkill for guitar amps and as a result were considered too sterile sounding (I'm not counting the 125's here). Also the PTs were rated for 115VAC primaries, but mains in north american are typically over 120, so the voltages were often too high. And let's not mention their complicated OT secondaries that made it complicated to wire for multiple impedance options.

Then ClassicTone came along with quality reproduction of vintage iron and took the market away from Hammond.

But towards the end of the 00's Hammond started their 290/1750 series of guitar amp replacement transformers. Those are proper replacements for classic circuits with the proper specs. My main amp (a 2204 clone) has been using the same 1750N output transformer for the past 11 years, it has been thrown around on the road, fell off the cab, ran without a load, ran at full tilt for long nights, and it's still running strong. I did recently swap the PT but only because I wanted a lower voltage (488VDC with the 290GX, so I swapped for a 290DX which is their vintage Bassman OT and now I'm down to around 460VDC)

14. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I've used Weber, Classictone, Hammond, Edcor, and vintage transformers pulled from old radios, stereos etc. I've never been willing to pay the significant premium for Mercury.

IMO, Classictone Hammond and the Chinese made Weber transformers are all pretty comparable. Edcor is a noticeable step up in build quality, though I don't know that they truly sound any better and while their prices are comparable to the others their lead time is significant and their shipping prices are high. Edcor does have some transformer spec options that the others don't and they also have a line of wider frequency response "true hifi" transformers if you needed something like that for some reason.

The radio pull transformers are an interesting point of comparison. In general, the PTs are way bigger than you would expect for the tube compliment they were supplying and the OTs are somewhat smaller. They make good sounding guitar amps, though they often force some circuit tweaks from classic Fender schematics.

15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

MM are just too expensive. They are good but other brands like Hammond, Classic Tone, Heybauer, Allen etc are absolutely fine. I used to use MM but man they became way too expensive now.

Tele Slacker and HBamps like this.
  16. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the replies! So I was set on the Classictones and then found out that I can't find any ready to ship so now it's plan B.

From my parts bin, I have a Hammond 270DX (275/275) PT that I think should do what I need. I plugged in the values on this nifty site https://thesubjectmatter.com/calcptcurrent.html and it gave me 343 B+. That seems about right. Is B+ what I'll see at the 6V6 plate?

Now to find a suitable OT....

17. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

18. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Afflicted

How about the classictone 40-18019 PT 325/325 70mA and
    classictone 40-18031 OT 70mA 5k & 8k primary 4-8-16 secondary.

Both seem to be available at TubeDepot.

I am not affiliated with any of these companies.

19. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Afflicted

Classictone 40-18085 PT 630v or 550v 100mA, 5v 3A, 6.3v 2.25A.

TubeDepot as well.

20. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

Thanks for this but when I checked there, they say they have no stock. Maybe the weber 22772. Has a 660 and a 600 taps.

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.