1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5F2A help needed

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by backalleyblues, Aug 5, 2020.

1. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Hey Gang!

Well, I finally finished up the amp I built for my wife's birthday, a 5F2A for her harp playing (mainly). Went to fire it up, and I got this weird and loud phasing sound-was affected a bit by the volume and tone controls, but not a lot. Also got some VERY distorted guitar through it, that was nowhere near the volume level of the phase sound.... arrggh!

Obviously, there's a ground issue in here somewhere, what else should I be looking for? Since it's a birthday gift, I can't obviously work on it while she's around, so any troubleshooting will have to wait til morning-in the meantime, please let me know what to look for!

Thanks,
    Franc Robert

2. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you may have positive feedback through the NFB circuit which would require you to swap the OT primary wires.

To check the health of the whole circuit I recommend a complete voltage chart and a few photos.

3. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Is that a "Mississippi saxophone" or a stringed harp?

Tell your wife *Happy Birthday* from the shock brothers.:)

James Knox and D'tar like this.
  4. backalleyblues

Here's some pics of the guts, not the cleanest job on earth, but better than my first try-the one hanging green wire is a ground wire, which I did attach after noticing it. Did a test and I'm still getting the whacko feedback, though it's not phasing now... Will look at the OT wiring, it's a ClassicTone multi-tap tranny...

Franc Robert

Attached Files:

5. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Pease follow the advice @D'tar gave. "Sounds like you may have positive feedback through the NFB circuit which would require you to swap the OT primary wires."

Paul-T likes this.
  6. backalleyblues

OK, just swapped the OT primaries, still got the feedback-also tried disconnecting the negative feedback loop, that didn't do anything either...

Franc Robert

7. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Is this just the amp with nothing plugged in? Or feedback with an instrument?

8. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

where is this grounded? I would ground this with your PT center tap.

upload_2020-8-6_12-33-5.png

upload_2020-8-6_12-33-43.png

milocj likes this.
  9. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Grounding to the pot.... you may need a little more heat for a solid connection. Perhaps you could move these to the eyelet?

upload_2020-8-6_12-36-48.png

Nickfl and milocj like this.
  10. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

leave the NFB disconnected until you get things straightened out. Then it will be obvious if you have a phase issue when reconnecting.

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  11. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

It looks as if you have the 6v6 cathode connected to the nfb reistor and the nfb connected to the big cathode resistor?

upload_2020-8-6_12-43-51.png

Nickfl, milocj, Tom Kamphuys and 3 others like this.
  12. backalleyblues

Yup, that was the culprit alright! Switched the wires, and now it's working fine!!! Debating on whether to leave the NFB in or not-I played it with no NFB, and it distorted a lot quicker, and felt quite a bit looser-I'll let my wife decide on that, especially since it's just one wire to remove...

Thanks again for the help!

Franc Robert

13. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Dig the purple cab and pink knobs! Got more pictures? :cool:

I went back and forth on the NFB in my 5F2A, too. Was thinking of putting in a switch, and ultimately decided to tweak the circuit for more gain at the second preamp stage and reduce the NFB by about half. I like it.

14. backalleyblues

Ask and you shall receive!!!

Pink and purple are her favorite colors, and the heart on the grille is part of her signature-I felt a pink cabinet would be too much in this case.

As for the NFB, I'm thinking that a switch would be the way to go too-it sounds really good with the NFB and a guitar, so having a switch (call it a harp-guitar switch) might just work...

Franc Robert IMG_5724.jpg

Attached Files:

15. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

That's a cool gift man. Good job. The harp players i know prefer 0 NFB, if they even notice at all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.