1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5F11 Ready for First Start-Up

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by RustySterling, Apr 22, 2020.

1. RustySterling

RustySterling Tele-Meister

Got the light-bulb limiter out and I'm about ready for my first start-up on the 5F11. BTW, this is a Monotone kit -- I only got chassis and parts. I built the cabinet myself -- a bee box -- and ordered my own speakers. I have a bunch of tubes in my box in the garage. Here are pics of the all the innards. This is my third build (5E3 and 5F2A previously) and my soldering is getting better but hardly close to perfect. It would only let me load 10 files, so the others will follow. Everything-1.jpg Everything-2.jpg Everything-3.jpg Everything-4.jpg Everything-5.jpg Everything-6.jpg Everything-7.jpg Everything-8.jpg Everything-9.jpg Everything-10.jpg

rangercaster and danlad like this.
  2. RustySterling

Here are the last photos.
    Everything-11.jpg Everything-12.jpg Everything-13.jpg Everything-14.jpg

3. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

May like to confirm the V2plate load resistors!:)

King Fan and Lowerleftcoast like this.
  4. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

And the speed pot tail resistor

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  5. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

Hope it all works out well. I did one a while back and it’s my favorite to date. I went with a bias pot circuit, and switchable NFB (on/off), and a little fatter 1st filter cap. I think you’ll love beautiful cleans, and takes pedals really well. And it’s super quiet too!

RustySterling likes this.
  6. RustySterling

Thanks @D'tar.
    @Kevin Wolfe I've looked forward to this build. I'm also looking at using her for harp as well as guitar.

7. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

It could be a bit too clean for harp unless that’s what you’re looking for. You could always run a dirt pedal into it. Or an EQ pedal and cut I’m a fan of a 5F1 for harp. Weber cones one of their 8” speaker just for that but I can’t remember which one. If your wanting some dirt, look for the most inefficient speaker you can find.

8. RustySterling

OK. I had smoke. Got a short somewhere. Burned out the 10K resistor in the bias. Here's a photo. This is an area I felt unsure about. The yellow wire at the end of the resistor goes to one of the secondary connections at the rectifier. I've included an image of that connection too. Ideas? FriedResistor-1.jpg FriedResistor-2.jpg

SnidelyWhiplash and Kevin Wolfe like this.
  9. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Is your bias cap polarity correct? It looks reversed compared to mine.

IMG_20200101_171211.jpg

10. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You may also need a bigger dropping resistor. It appears that you have a power transformer that doesn't have a bias tap since you mention the yellow wire coming from your rectifier tube. That set-up may require a 100k instead based on the attached layout.

editted mojotone layout with my mods.png

jsnwhite619 and King Fan like this.
  11. RustySterling

@milocj Yikes! Didn't catch that on the cap. So I'll fix that and replace the resistor with a 100K. WOW! Good catch buddy.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  12. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Reversed electrolytic may be dead, watch out. Is it bulging at the end?

13. DennisM

DennisM Tele-Meister

Hope you get it going. It looks like a nice and clean build. Well done!

14. RustySterling

@tubegeek is likely correct. I think I fried the electrolytic cap. I'll have to get another. Anyway. went through the standard test procedure with light-bulb limiter. Once I got to installing the power tubes I had a hum and the light-bulb limiter was bright. I swapped out those power tubes for a couple of other, no hum and no very dim light on the limiter BUT no sound. I get no reading on the positive end of the bias electrolytic, that's why I think it is friend. Oh, and I tried getting sound without the light-bulb limiter and still nothing.

15. RustySterling

I'm still going to do some other readings with the limiter and without. But what I found when i measured the positive end of the bias electrolytic I got nothing. And I get about 322vdc on B1 (got that during the rectifier check). So I might go to the higher power secondaries. It will give me something to do while I await the replacement electrolytic. I order 3 to have a couple on hand for the future. Getting them from Mojotone.

I'll start another thread for this next phase. Thanks for all the help.

tubegeek likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.