1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5F11 Down the Home Stretch

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by RustySterling, Apr 20, 2020.

1. RustySterling

RustySterling Tele-Meister

OK, I've been working on this amp for quite some time. Going very slow. I'm faced with two problems: Photo 1) What do I connect to the 10K resistor in line with the diode -- from what I've seen it looks like somewhere on the rectifier but not sure; Photo 2) how do I hook up all this stuff for power. I haven't connected heaters yet until I get this sorted out and that part is not a problem for me.

I'm including a link to this thread since he used the same transformers (both PT and OT) that I'm using. https://www.tdpri.com/threads/5f11-first-power-up-issue-help.845319/

Here are my photos of the two areas: Final touches-1.jpg Final touches-2.jpg

2. RustySterling

OK, I figured part of it out, running a lead from the end of the 10K resistor to one of the red/yellow secondary on the rectifier (Pin 6, but I'm using protection diodes so secondaries are wired to the unused pins with diodes connecting them to Pins 4 and 6 respectively).

Now I'm trying to figure out how to wire up power to the fuse and switch. I get that I should twist the black-white/brown-white with the power cord white wire. I've done that, soldered them together and sealed off the ends with shrink wrap. And from what I could figure out from some of the cryptic instructions in the other thread, I connected the power cord black to the end of the fuse holder, ran another black wire from the side-tab of the fuse holder to one lug of the switch and the black and brown wires connected to the other switch lug. Here is a pic. I'm going to tuck everything away neatly only have the wires like this for illustration. Please tell me if I'm on the right track with all of this. Thanks.
    Power final touches-1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  3. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

You wanna go AC hot (black) -> fuse -> switch -> PT brown/black primaries

4. RustySterling

I thought that is what I did? What am I missing here?

sds1 likes this.
  5. RustySterling

@sds1 Are you telling me that the connections on the switch are backwards?

sds1 likes this.
  6. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Nope, it was late and I just skimmed your post too fast. Thought you only had the neutral side figured out. Looks like you got it.

7. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Afflicted

Now that you have it figured you could go in and shorten up some of the the longer wires. When you come to the wires it is only natural to make the wire a little long so it will reach. Once you get it in and it is a little long you have a better idea of how much length is needed. Then you can trim it a little shorter. This will go a long way to reducing hum.
    You are on the home stretch now and home made tone will soon be realized.
    Cheers Ron.

8. mpassell

mpassell TDPRI Member

Good to see you on here Rusty! These guys will take good care of ya!

RustySterling likes this.
  9. RustySterling

Mark! Good to see you buddy. Actually, I've been here before. I've previously built a 5E3 and a 5F2A (my favorite amp).

@Mongo Park Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

@sds1 Thanks. Not sure I'll build with a non-standard transformer again but I liked having two taps for high or lower power. I went the lower power secondary route.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    mpassell likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.