1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5f1 with tremolo

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by aaronftnm, Apr 16, 2021.

1. aaronftnm

aaronftnm TDPRI Member

I did some searching about building a 5f1 with tremolo, but could not find any real answers. Has anyone made something like this work? I have seen people say to build a vibro champ and change the tone stack, but I also saw somewhere else on the internet a schematic someone added a trem circuit to. I will post it here...i guess my question is has anyone sucessfully done something like this?? Also, I dont really want to make a tremolux, or anything like that. I would like to build a 5f1 or even 5f2, then get wobbly.

Attached Files:

2. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I think Rob Robinette (@robrob) has stand alone reverb and trem circuits on his site intended for integrating into other amps.

While you don’t want to go full tremolos, maybe consider a 5f11 vibrolux? You might at least find it easier to build a 5f11 front end with a champ single ended power section.

JuneauMike and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  3. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Holic

4. aaronftnm

aaronftnm TDPRI Member

I have used Rob’s site many times, but only now did I notice those pages. I will have to take a closer look.
    The Vibrolux is fixed bias and uses bias modulating tremolo, I think? Where as the 5f1 is cathode biased?

5. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Build a 5F1.....use a box.

Obelisk likes this.
  6. EmWeAh

EmWeAh Tele-Meister

I think an AA764 Vibrochamp would be what you are looking for. You could implement a switch to lift the tone controls and deactivate the NFB loop to get you in the ballpark of a 5F1 plus you also have some nice blackface'ish sort of sounds in one amp.

Edit: and the chassis gives you much more room to work in compared to this little tweed 5F1 housing...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  7. aaronftnm

aaronftnm TDPRI Member

Thanks for the suggestions. For now im going to finish up the 5f2 build in a blank chassis that I am working with, then see if I can add one of Robs ideas at a later date. I grabbed some extra parts to add it later when I feel up to messing around.

8. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Not sure what's inside but the Eric Clapton Vibro Champ is supposedly based off a 5F1 with 50s output tube bias tremolo while a 60s Vibro Champ is preamp bias tremolo. The schematic you posted may be the same. I don't know. If not maybe a schematic can be located.

9. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I've done a lot of tinkering the past year or so with hot rodded 5f2a Princetons and borrowing aspects of the AA764 when needed. I went around the moon on this last one to set it up best for hot humbuckers and a 5881 power tube. My suggestion would be go the Vibro Champ route and modify it for a raw/5f1 switch. Also, you would need to lift/disable the second gain stage after the Treb/Bass controls to get closer to the 5F1 sound and not have it screaming overdrive all the time.

Vibro Champ pros:
    • wider chassis to work in
    • extra tremolo tube hole is already accounted for
    • your depth & speed controls are already accounted for
    • more room to add mods and switches

Another option if you want to stick with the tweed route would be to get a 5f11 Vibrolux chassis. The PT cutout would be a direct fit. You'd have Vol/Tone AND speed/depth for the tremolo. You'd have one empty 6v6 socket, but everything else about the chassis would be perfect for a Tweed Vibro Princeton. Actually, I can't believe I have never thought about this latter scenario until now...

Tele Slacker likes this.
  10. Bitsleftover

Bitsleftover Tele-Holic

I’ve added an tremolo like the EC Vibrochamp to a 5F2A.
    I wired a switch which killed the tremolo in the off position, then connected the tremolo and added a V1B cathode bypass cap in the on position to make up the loss caused by the tremolo. Along with the tremolo footswitch I now have 3 settings.
    1- Stock Princeton
    2- Princeton with a V1B cathode bypass gain boost tremolo off
    3 Tremolo on.
    It makes it a very versatile amp. I love it.
    There is no downside. So long as your PT has enough juice to power an extra 12AX7

jsnwhite619 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.