5f1 with Oval Speaker Question

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by onenotetom, Dec 8, 2014.

1. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

I just purchased these Chrysler 6x8 alnico speakers:

"I don't know which models of Chrysler, Dodge or Plymouth these 6" by 8" were used in. They were made in the late 1970's and are part number 3501477, 36033M. The actual basket measurements are 5-1/2" by 7-11/16". The DCR of the voice coils measures 3.0-3.1 ohms. They are new old stock, have been in storage for many years, and they are in excellent working condition."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14146536754...rkparms=gh1g=I141465367547.N8.S1.M1010.R1.TR3

I plan to put 1 or 2 of them in a Packard Bell chair side radio cabinet combined with a 5f1 build. I can do this and still keep the original radio. Will be used strictly for living room use as the chair side radio is not very portable.:lol:

[​IMG]

I know that Muchxs has used 6x9's. At $22 for 2 of them I did not have a lot to loose. The seller has 3 more sets available. Any thoughts?

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

They say "Deluxe" right on 'em so ya know they're the high priced spread. :D

Something to be aware of with old autosound speakers... some of them are 10 ohms. I even have a few with concentric voice coils that can be hooked up for 10, 20 and 40 0hms for that one in a million application where I need a 40 ohm speaker. Your Chrysler speakers are nominally 3.2 ohms which has "Fender Champ" all over 'em.

Another thing to be aware of with 6"x9" speakers... some are fantastic while others are total crap. In general a bigger magnet indicates a better speaker just like plain old round speakers. Stick to brands that aren't too weird. For example the Japanese stepped up and manufactured 6"x9" speakers starting in the late '60s. I keep trying but I've never found a Japanese speaker I like.

I have a weird old Rola from a projector that's something like 8"x11". Then there's the main speaker from a Grundig console with its swank gold basket kinda like a squashed twelve. :D

Ooh! Then there's the Heppners labeled "Muzak" with red cloth cones obviously designed for that smooth Muzak tone.

Red cones sound better. :D

3. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the reply! I figured I could give them a shot. If they work well I am going to wish that I bought the other 6. If not, I will write it off to the cost of R&D.

There is not a picture of the face so I can not tell if these are doped around the edges or not. May research and see what product I can apply to dope them if they are not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.