5F1...ish spare parts build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by JUSS10, Apr 20, 2019.

  1. JUSS10

    JUSS10 TDPRI Member

    Posts:
    16
    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2014
    Location:
    West Michigan
    So I recently built an Esquire from some unconventional materials (plywood). It was build mainly from spare parts and materials laying around the house (except for the Bigsby). Anyway, I thought for fun, I would make an amp to go with it. Over the last few years I've dabbled with tube amps. I'm a bit of an analog fanatic, not the crazy pretentious type, but I have a turntable instead of a TV in our living room and still buy new music on vinyl. Anyway, in my years of playing in the hifi realm I have collected a fair bit of tubes, chassis's, random bits and such. I figured I probably had a enough to build some sort of guitar amp.

    Digging through my pile of parts, I found an old intercom amp that I had gutted. I kept the transformers on it, also kept the original cloth wiring that was wrapped in twine. I would guess its from some time in the 50's, maybe earlier? It has two 6sf5 preamp tubes, a 6v6 and a 6x5 rectifier. Seeing as the 6sf5 is really just half a 12ax7 in a metal case I figured I'd build a 5F1.

    Found the weber schematic and ran with that. I already had the electrolytic caps laying around so the rest of the bits were pocket change. I was in the process of rebuilding an AMI jukebox amp for my cousin so I tossed the few components I needed on his order when I placed a parts order. Digging through my boxes of bits I found a valve jr output transformer which had the right primary of 5K and 4,8, and 16 ohm secondaries. Also had a 10" speaker from a vox ac4 tv that a buddy gave me once.

    Now that I have the electronics done, I ran to home depot and bought a pine board to make a cabinet out. Something like $8. The cousin who I rebuilt the jukebox amp is a carpenter by trade. So we did a little "skill" trading and he helped me make the cabinet in exchange for doing some work on his juke box.

    Just last night I got all the parts dry fit together, and for probably less than $20 spent and "junk" parts I was able to make a pretty cool amp.

    Yes I know the OT isn't the greatest and the speaker is so so as well but the point is that I was able to make a budget amp from spare bits and with time, I can easily make some upgrades it to. I may even slowing turn it in to a 5f2 princeton as its running the 10" speaker and I did use the plans for the tweed princeton cabinet.

    All I need to do now if get some grill cloth (which i have from an old organ I salvaged once) and find a can of polyurethane on the paint shelf in the basement to seal it up.

    Below are some pictures of what the amp looked like when I started with it. I tried just replacing the caps once and keeping it how I found it but without a schematic, it wasn't worth it, so it was shelved and then gutted when I started this actual build.

    I have a few more PA amps that I hope to build in to something yet.

    Justin IMG_1357.jpeg IMG_1358.jpeg IMG_1631.JPG 57740256941__5A852DAA-FD84-424D-A40E-9817A8E50143.JPG 57740255667__6435E11C-DBBD-4CBF-BCEF-620DA60C66FA.JPG IMG_1633.jpeg IMG_1634.jpeg
     
  2. monkeybanana

    monkeybanana Tele-Meister

    Posts:
    268
    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2016
    Location:
    mmhmm
    Wow beautiful. Certainly no junk.

    I am jealous of all you guys with wood skills (and tools!)
     
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.


  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.