5F1...ish spare parts build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by JUSS10, Apr 20, 2019.

1. JUSS10

JUSS10 Tele-Meister

So I recently built an Esquire from some unconventional materials (plywood). It was build mainly from spare parts and materials laying around the house (except for the Bigsby). Anyway, I thought for fun, I would make an amp to go with it. Over the last few years I've dabbled with tube amps. I'm a bit of an analog fanatic, not the crazy pretentious type, but I have a turntable instead of a TV in our living room and still buy new music on vinyl. Anyway, in my years of playing in the hifi realm I have collected a fair bit of tubes, chassis's, random bits and such. I figured I probably had a enough to build some sort of guitar amp.

Digging through my pile of parts, I found an old intercom amp that I had gutted. I kept the transformers on it, also kept the original cloth wiring that was wrapped in twine. I would guess its from some time in the 50's, maybe earlier? It has two 6sf5 preamp tubes, a 6v6 and a 6x5 rectifier. Seeing as the 6sf5 is really just half a 12ax7 in a metal case I figured I'd build a 5F1.

Found the weber schematic and ran with that. I already had the electrolytic caps laying around so the rest of the bits were pocket change. I was in the process of rebuilding an AMI jukebox amp for my cousin so I tossed the few components I needed on his order when I placed a parts order. Digging through my boxes of bits I found a valve jr output transformer which had the right primary of 5K and 4,8, and 16 ohm secondaries. Also had a 10" speaker from a vox ac4 tv that a buddy gave me once.

Now that I have the electronics done, I ran to home depot and bought a pine board to make a cabinet out. Something like $8. The cousin who I rebuilt the jukebox amp is a carpenter by trade. So we did a little "skill" trading and he helped me make the cabinet in exchange for doing some work on his juke box.

Just last night I got all the parts dry fit together, and for probably less than $20 spent and "junk" parts I was able to make a pretty cool amp.

Yes I know the OT isn't the greatest and the speaker is so so as well but the point is that I was able to make a budget amp from spare bits and with time, I can easily make some upgrades it to. I may even slowing turn it in to a 5f2 princeton as its running the 10" speaker and I did use the plans for the tweed princeton cabinet.

All I need to do now if get some grill cloth (which i have from an old organ I salvaged once) and find a can of polyurethane on the paint shelf in the basement to seal it up.

Below are some pictures of what the amp looked like when I started with it. I tried just replacing the caps once and keeping it how I found it but without a schematic, it wasn't worth it, so it was shelved and then gutted when I started this actual build.

I have a few more PA amps that I hope to build in to something yet.

Justin IMG_1357.jpeg IMG_1358.jpeg IMG_1631.JPG 57740256941__5A852DAA-FD84-424D-A40E-9817A8E50143.JPG 57740255667__6435E11C-DBBD-4CBF-BCEF-620DA60C66FA.JPG IMG_1633.jpeg IMG_1634.jpeg

2. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

Wow beautiful. Certainly no junk.

I am jealous of all you guys with wood skills (and tools!)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.