5f1 hum

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by jlang, Sep 4, 2018.

1. jlang

jlang TDPRI Member

Hey all,

I just finished a boothill 5f1 kit with a classictone 15w OT (http://www.classictone.net/40-18031.html). I’m having a hum that gets louder as I turn the volume up, no cable into the input. When a guitar cable is plugged in to either input the hum is almost gone but still thereat a much lower volume. Also, when I take the 12ax7 out the hum stops completely.

I’ve also swapped tubes with the same result and checked my soldering so now I’m at a loss.

I’m using the ground bus and attaching all preamp grounds to that. Could the hum be coming from a loop that is caused by the vol pot and/or switchcraft input jacks not being isolated?

Here is the layout with the adjustments I made to compensate for the 15w OT. image1.jpeg image2.jpeg

Thank you in advanced for any insight you might have.

2. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Check and make sure the input jack is actually shorting to ground when the cable is removed. A hum that lessens when a guitar is plugged in would be a symptom of that.

robrob likes this.
  3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Check the contacts on the shorting jack sockets. Then check the sockets are grounding properly through the chassis.

4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

There are lots of threads just like this one (including one I started). Did you search them out and read them?

5. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Check your 1M ohm resistors on the input jacks too.

6. jlang

jlang TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies. Yes I have been reading through everything I can on here. My post was a last resort.

I don’t think input 1 is shorting to ground properly. When I push the shorting jack the hum stops. How do I fix that?

I’ll double check that 1M resistor also.

7. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

May just be a bad jack. Dave only stocks quality stuff, but things happen. Do you have another jack you can swap?

8. JuneauMike

Just for fun, clip in a jumper from the pot ground to the pot casing, see what happens. That was the culprit in my case.

9. jlang

jlang TDPRI Member

Yeah looks like somehow with my heavy hands I "jacked" it up. I tend to be rough on things. I don't have another around so when I get one I'll rewire and post the results. I'm going to put a new 1M in there as well just in case.

@JuneauMike I saw the thread on your volume pot grounding and tried that but still had hum. After seeing your thread I ordered a new volume pot and it's on it's way. I'll probably go ahead and wire that in when it gets here. Right now I'm putting my money on the jack because when I push on it most all noise ceases. Just a very faint hum.

Thanks for help. Hopefully that fixes it.

JuneauMike likes this.
  10. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Quite often a little judicious reforming of the contact terminals with needle nose pliers will fix it.

11. JuneauMike

A question I forgot to ask: What type of hum is it? 60hz? 120hz?

12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You can test the contacts with a multimeter, although the gap is normally visible..

Usually that indicates the contacts are sprung - if so I always replace the jack.

Pictures of the chassis may help as well - especially if it's not the jack.

13. jlang

jlang TDPRI Member

@JuneauMike sounds like 120.

@Silverface theres a definite gap. If the jack doesn’t fix the problem I’ll start posting some pics.

14. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

I would start by testing outlet it is plugged into.

15. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

IMO EVERY wall outlet should be tested - home, gigs, rehearsal studios etc. A $6-7 tester quickly pinpoints missing grounds (3 prong outlets do NOT mean they're grounded!) and reversed hot/neutral - which can cause all sorts of problems. Many players have no clue that AC power outlets have polarity, and reversed outlets can cause hum, ground loops and dangerous conditions.

Also all fluorescent lights need to be removed from a set of outlets or connections on the same circuit breaker - even those little twisty "power saver" bulbs cause hum.

Plus computers, monitors, TV's, refrigerators and anything with a motor like a washer or dryer.

BUT in this case we have identified a sprung jack as a problem.

16. jlang

jlang TDPRI Member

Update: I ended up replacing all three jacks and now it’s quiet as a mouse and sounds great! Thank you all for the help and quick diagnoses. I really appreciate it.

Now I wanted to pick everyone’s brain once again. I plan to use this amp for harp. I’ve replaced the .22 caps with SoZo .1uf and my filter caps are 22-22-10. Are there any other mods to a 5f1 that might be useful for harp?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.