5f1 Champ - OT swap?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by caspersvapors, Jul 8, 2019.

1. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

I have a 5f1 build outfitted with the Classictone 40-18115 output transformer:

http://www.classictone.net/40-18115.html

I noticed that Classictone also sells this even smaller OT, which is reverse engineered from an actual Tweed Champ OT:

http://www.classictone.net/40-18110.html

If I were to swap to the 40-18110, how significant would the change in headroom and overall distortion on tap be? Would it also make the bass farty?

Thanks!

2. Junior Little

Junior Little Tele-Meister

I can't speak to the 18115, but the 18110 is pretty decent. I'm running it in a Champ clone-ish and I like it. Crank up the amp and it gets darn near Marshall-ish in tone. But, this is through a Vintage47 6x9 speaker, so...
    The tone controls on the Tele and the Strat are needed, but I dig it.
    I'm using the ClassicTone 18031 in a 5F2 clone-ish and I absolutely love the tone from that amp. It's the Angela Instrument version of the Princeton and let me tell you: I wouldn't trade that amp for love or money. A super-charged Princeton is the checker, brother.
    YMMV
    Nevertheless, try it. You might like it.
    Good luck!

caspersvapors and tubedood like this.
  3. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

I agree Junior Little. I just finished up a 5F2-A build.. still wrapping up the biasing. A few simple tone mods and an alnico 10 inch speaker. It sounds great.

I am sure the OP will love his 5F1! I am not familiar with the output transformer hes going with... I went with a big Allen Amplifiers TO-11S. Its big enough to use an EL-34 on a bigger project someday.

4. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Just read a debate about this on one of those tech-infested forums.

The 40-18110 is *smaller* than the 40-18115. In fact they call it their "Tiny-Sized" Champ OT. The 15 has 8k winding on the primary, nominal 5W. The 10 is 17k winding, also nominal 5W. Both of course 4 ohms.

In theory the 10 is the original spec,,, How does that affect the sound? Time to build one with both, on a switch. Who's game?

Junior Little likes this.
  5. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have also seen that model and wondered what it would sound like. I was curious if perhaps that is the OT used on the first series of Champs when they were using the 6" speakers, Maybe Fender stepped up to the more well known OT when they switched to the 8" speakers in the Champs.

Junior Little and King Fan like this.
  6. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

If you do get the lil '10 transformer do tell us how it sounds!

7. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    I have also built a 5F1 with the 10 tranny and a vintage 8" speaker. I have not compared it with a 15 build but I can say that it sounded very similar to my original 5F1. That was what I was going for as the 10 is supposed to be close to original.

Junior Little likes this.
  8. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm not smart enough to figure the tone effects of 17K reflecting 4 ohms, and in addition the 'tiny' form factor suggests a small stack. Does this thing saturate super early? Does it cut low frequencies? Dunno...

9. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

If you have the standard 8k:4R transformer and want to get a quick impression of what the 17k:4R transformer is going to sound like, try plugging a 8 ohm speaker (the same model as the 4 ohm if it's available) into your stock OT.

8k:4R --> 16k:8R

caspersvapors and King Fan like this.
  10. intensely calm

intensely calm Tele-Meister

Just to throw in another option -
    I used the ClassicTone 40-18030 in my 5F1 build

http://www.classictone.net/40-18030.html

It has the same footprint at the 18115, but has 4Ω and 8Ω output options (more speaker options).
    As for headroom difference, I can't technically say.
    Speaker farty, yes it will do that.

I've read here/somewhere about changing filter cap values to help remedy, or lessen the "farty".
    Others will have to chime in on that however, as I have not attempted such mods.
    I'm currently using a Jensen Special Design 8" 4Ω Ceramic, which may be enhancing the farty at volume.

Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 10.34.00 AM.png

I have just assembled an L-Pad attenuator box which allows the amp to be cranked up, but at lower volume output to the speaker.
    Kinda nice so far, my dog approves.

11. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

my 5f1 with the 40-18115 and a cva8 speaker isnt farty at all

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.