5F1 Cabinet Too Small

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by cmm71, Nov 19, 2019.

1. cmm71

cmm71 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

So for my latest build I chose a really nice lacquered cabinet from an independent builder (not Mojotone). I was aware that the dimensions of my purchased cab were slightly smaller than the Mojotone cab. I took my chances. Yeah, the chassis, more specifically the transformer, is contacting the Weber Sig 8 speaker. Bummer. I'm guessing I'll need another cab. Has anyone encountered this? Is there another way? It's too bad...the look lacquered cab looks gorgeous.

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Tried spinning the speaker 90 deg? What is touching?

3. cmm71

I was thinking of trying that tonight. I'm not sure which transformer is touching but there's metal contacting the metal speaker frame. I looked very quickly this morning before leaving for work and rotating the speaker doesn't really seem like it will create anymore real estate for the chassis...but it's worth a try.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

From the Weber page.....thinking that you mean the Alnico Sig speaker.....
    ”For almost all Champs with 8" speaker, to replace Oxford 8EV, Chicago Jensen P8R, C8R. 8", 7oz AlNiCo plug magnet, 15 watt, 1" voice coil, straight cone. Warm, crunchy, early breakup, compressed/fattened at high volume. This speaker fits in most Champs, but does not fit in the original Fender Tweed Champ. It does fit in our 5F1 cabinet (which has the more modern stock dimensions). For original Tweed Champs, please check out the CVA8

archetype and nojazzhere like this.
  5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

IIRC the mag on every size and type of Weber Signature is symmetrical. You should be able to tell just by looking at it instead of trying to rotate it.

6. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Can you flip the baffle?

7. cmm71

Wally, yeah, I saw that bold note on the website after I purchased the cab. I'll look at the ceramic speaker.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

This is the speaker that Weber suggests in that literature....Alnico.

https://www.tedweber.com/cva8

those Signature Weber Alnico have a large structure, and they are much more speaker than one needs in a 5 watt Champ. They might sound very good in that application, but with size restrictions, one doesn’t need a 15 watt speaker.

9. cmm71

Ahh... I see. I saw the "c" in the designator and figured it was ceramic. I ordered the cva8, that'll be a nice speaker for this build.

Thanks

Wally likes this.
  10. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

I’ve had an issue like that and rotating the speaker so that the transformer fell between an opening in my speaker was the solution.

May I ask where you got the cab? I actually would like a teeny one like the originals.

11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Worst case remake the speaker baffle with the speaker relocated? Also, on a Deluxe Reverb I have angled the OT a bit for clearance, not sure if you can do that on a 5F1 or not..:
    [​IMG]

12. cmm71

Monkeybanana, I found it on ebay. The seller is "tetienne2011".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.