5e3 test help

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Cantbreak100guy, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Meister

I just built my first amp. A Boothill 5e3. It works great, no problems. However, I want to test voltages and whatnot. The problem is, I don't know how to properly use a multimeter. Where to turn the dial, for instance. After two zaps and burns on the chassis, I thought I should ask for help instead of asking for trouble. 1528858702680201762159.jpg

2. RustySterling

RustySterling Tele-Meister

OK, it looks like the meter is in four sections. Going around the dial clockwise from the top, the first section is DC voltage, the next is AC voltage, then DC Amps, and finally ohms. I don't know what you are testing but for my 5E3, the first test was for DC voltage. Plug the black lead into the COM port, that is your ground. Plug the second lead (red) into the middle slot (this is all assuming you are testing some of high amperage). For example, when I tested my amp on initial fireup with the rectifier tube plugged in it called for black to ground and red to positive lead on the first filter cap (B+ #1 capacitor). Before you touch the probe to test put the dial on the DC V side (upper right area of the dial) and probably on the 500 volt setting.

Now, that is what I did. I don't know what your Boothill Amp is asking for but I hope that what I said helps. Just keep in mind the limits that are called for and select the setting that is in the range called for. With my amp I only had to use the 500 volt, 20 volt and 200 volt setting, since everything I was testing fell under those limits. I hope others chime in here. I can't offer a guarantee but I'd be comfortable doing with my amp what I've suggested to you.

AND NEVER TURN THE METERS DIAL WHILE TESTING A POINT. YOU'LL LIKELY BLOW THE FUSE IN THE METER IF YOU DO. (Sorry for shouting.)

3. RustySterling

Let me expand based on what I did today: What I said about B+ 1 stands, since the voltage was supposed to be under 500 volts. On two other test point the voltage was supposed to be 1.5 volts, so I'd use the 20 volt setting on your meter to test those on my amp. Another point called for 22 volts, so in that case I'd use the 200 volt setting as I also would for another point that called for 63 volts. Again all of this is using the DC Voltage section (between midnight and 3 o'clock). I hope that makes sense. If you are testing for a bias adjustment you use the DC Amp section since those reading will be well below 10 amps. So if you are testing something above 2000 milli amps you plug the positive (red) probe in the other spot that says 10AMax. Black always goes to COM.

4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Another safety point... If you have a lead for your meter that has a clamp on the end, use that for your ground lead and clamp it onto the chassis. You want to have as few hands as possible inside or around the chassis as you can.

If you don't have a clamp lead, you might want to invest in two alligator clamps and a short piece of wire... Assemble them with one clamp on each end of the wire... doesn't have to be long, 10-12" would be perfect. Clamp one end to the chassis and one end to your meter lead.

Cantbreak100guy and SacDAve like this.
  5. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Do a youtube search lots of videos on how to use one, try searching " checking Guitar Amp voltage "

6. RustySterling

Hey, OP, let us know how it goes.

Oh, and I agree with Axis29 about the alligator clips. I have a set of probe wires with alligator clips and they are invaluable.

Cantbreak100guy likes this.
  7. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

be careful in there - the AC switches can bite you as well -
    One hand inside, one behind your back is what most will teach -
    going to have to clip at least one of the leads if not both. Try Uncle Doug videos on YouTube

8. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted

clintj and Axis29 like this.
  9. Cantbreak100guy

Thanks
    I tried, but, couldn't find the basic info I needed. I'll try again with the key words you suggested. Thanks!

10. Cantbreak100guy

Yes! Learned a bit from Uncle Doug. Thanks!

11. Cantbreak100guy

Thank you. I'll give it a try. I am appreciative of the knowledge available on this site, cheers!

12. Cantbreak100guy

Well, it seems as though I mixed up volts ac/dc. My 5e3 is very close to the voltages on the Weber layout. Thanks again! Now I need to learn to play a guitar.

13. Sarde

Sarde Tele-Meister

14. RustySterling

Glad it finally worked for you. Good luck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.