1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5E3 Speaker choice

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Tinman46, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Tinman46

Tinman46 Tele-Meister

I'm looking into doing a Trinity 5E3 come late April/Early May (Tax refund:)) and am looking at my options. Trinity offers Tone Tubby options for the speaker and the two suggestions where Low Watt Alnico and Chicago Blue Alnico. The price difference isn't a worry for me I just want the sound. They describe the low watt as tight and focused, with early break-up. And the Chicago Blue as a throaty, growling, barking low frequency range and sweet glazed definition. I'm not a tone guru but know what I like and from the descriptions I'm hearing that these are pretty close to the same just the Chicago Blue may have a little more personality. I'd love to try both out but since that isn't feasible I am looking for any input or experience some of you may have. I'm looking for something that will give me classic rock tones with some headroom for home/recording which is why I went the 5E3 route. I know it's subjective just looking for experiences. I can order without a speaker and go with something else as well but the options become a little overwhelming.
    Trinity also offers a VRM (Voltage Regulation Module) as an add on. Anybody with some experience on this would be appreciated as well.

2. andyfromdenver

andyfromdenver Friend of Leo's

Can you post links to the specs of those two?

Early break up and
    "I'm looking for something that will give me classic rock tones with some headroom for home/recording which is why I went the 5E3 route"
    don't totally mesh together, so maybe the Chicago blue?

Early break up speakers can be cool for another layer of distortion tone, but may leave you with a one trick pony situation.
    The 5e3 just has a squeak of clean headroom on the dial, but within that narrow range you can get a nice clean sound with some effort.
    I disconnected one of my channels and with help from printer2 wired the unused volume to still do it's loading quirk. With that set up, I can turn the unused volume to max without the "hiss" penalty and get more useable clean volume, but then you loose the jumping capability which makes it a weigh your options mod.

Just m.o.

I either play mine (a head) through a 10" celestion gold, or 12" red fang. The red fang is pretty much just the most killer speaker around comparing many types of fruit.

3. Tinman46

Tinman46 Tele-Meister

Low watt specs...

http://www.tonetubby.com/specs/low-watt-alnico-12-8.html

Chicago Blue specs....

http://www.tonetubby.com/specs/chicago-blue-12-8.html

The early break up was steering me towards the Chicago Blue. I don't need a ton of headroom a little will do my needs. Mostly after that 70's rock tone. Thanks.

4. Emiel

Emiel Tele-Meister

I think the Low Watt might be too bright and aggressive... the Chicago Blue looks like a lovely speaker. Would like to try that one, but I am waiting on some more reviews before I pull the trigger. I had a Red Alnico in my 5E3 until recently, it is a huge and round sounding speaker. Overall a really good match but too loud for my band and maybe a bit too stiff too. Now I have a Jensen P12Q reissue in there, much brighter and quieter but a pretty good match I'd say.

5. Tinman46

Tinman46 Tele-Meister

I went with the Chicago Blue. After a few emails back and forth with Trinity Amps I think it will suit me better. I was waiting for tax return time but work bonus came through and the order went in. Now we wait.

6. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Have you got the speaker yet? What do you think of it?

7. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    I can't help you with the Tone Tubby choice as I use a Weber 12A125-O which I like. But, as far as the little bit of clean headroom, you have interactive controls. One way is to crank the unused channel to max. This effectively cleans up the other channel being used and lowers the volume a bit.

I installed a switched/variable NFB loop in my 5E3 which gives me a wide range of options including a cleaner sound if wanted. I also put in a VVR(VRM) which works very well in this amp. Mine wasn't a Trinity, but they are all basically the same and are easy to mod. Have fun with whatever way you choose to go.

8. screamin eagle

Well I'm gonna be trying a Chicago blue in a couple of days when it's handed over from the UPS man. It's not going in a 5e3, but it is going in the tweed princeton (all octal tubes--6sl7's) that I have in a 5e3 cabinet.

Right now I have a weber Sig. and Sig. S. The smooth cone Sig. is very vibey and really great with the volume low, but just doesn't do it for me as the amps winds up (it's also modded to take a 6l6 and 5v4, but I like running it with a 6l6 and 5y3). The ribbed cone Sig. hold the line just a little longer before it crumbles so I think I prefer that one for volumes above 5.

I went with these speakers because I really wanted an old school Sun Records blues vibe, and I found out that that is exactly what I got, except that is just about all the smooth cone does (I still want to be able to get my Charlie Christian tone going). I want to retain most of that vibe, but just in a little bit stouter format. I know that you change 1 thing and you change the tone, but I was tempted by the specs of the Chicago blue, and I have heard the TT red alnico in a 20 watt class A tweed style amp-- it kills. I am not looking for max efficiency for this particular amp however. Figure, lower watt, low sensitivity, hemp cone and decent size magnet (as in not tiny like the 7oz mag.'s on the webers) sound promising. We'll see in a couple of days.

9. Emiel

Emiel Tele-Meister

Screamin eagle, have you tried a more powerful speaker, that is to say, couldn't it be just the amp breaking up in a nasty way?

Again, very interested what you guys think of the Chicago Blue.

10. screamin eagle

Emiel, yes actually I tried the amp with a legend 1058 and a recone p15n. Both more powerful speakers in different ways. I love the paperiness of the both of the weber sig speakers, but they just lacked something for me. I was trying to find basically a very inefficient p12n speaker. I hooked up the Chicago blue tonight, but I didn't get much more than an hour with it cuase of family stuff. So far so great.

I didn't get to really open the amp up so I still need some time with it, but so far it reminds me of a lower efficiency p_n type speaker. It did lose some of that paperiness that I liked in the webers, but it was stouter than them which I was looking for. And maybe that paperiness will show up just a little higher on the dial. It seems to be In the same ballpark efficiently wise, but again I didn't get a chance to open up the amp.

I'll post some more as I get more time with it, but so far it's a keeper. It's warm and 'round-brite'. If that makes sense. For tweed anyway I don't find it dark. Maybe instead of nudging the tone control down to 4-5 with the webers I can roll it up to 5-7, but definitely don't need to take it to 10-12 just to get some Brightness.

11. Emiel

Emiel Tele-Meister

Sounds like a promising start! Some say these speakers have quite a long break in period, keep us updated of how it turns out. I tried the Weber Signature S and currently use a P12Q RI. They sound fairly close. I sometimes wish it has a bit more mids though.

Did you notice a (slight) bump in volume compared to the Webers? I think it has a similar sensitivity/dB rating but it seems like the Tone Tubby has more mids and thus might seem louder.

12. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Love Trinity, have an 18!

13. screamin eagle

It's definitely a warm speaker, but I don't think I'd call it dark. So yeah more mids so maybe a perception of louder, but keep in mind the highs are really round. I find bright speakers to seem louder than grunting mid voiced speakers. Just a different voice and frequency response. I haven't heard that alnicp 'swirl' yet, but I haven't gotten to really open it up yet--and it needs to break in.

More to come when I can take for more of a ride.

14. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

I recently bought a Weber and love it. It's the perfect speaker for the 5E3. I previously had a Cannabis Rex which was decent sounding but it was too much of a speaker for this amp...

Here's the Weber I bought

Model 12A125-A
    Vintage Series AlNiCo 12 inch Speaker
    * Basket Color - Black hotdog
    * Dope - Light
    * Impedance - 8 Ohms
    * Power - 30 watts
    * with the bell cover

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.