1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5e3 PT and OT, but not a 5e3. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by dankilling, Dec 4, 2020.

1. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Did you build it exactly like the Robinette setup, or slightly modded for the higher voltage of the 5e3 PT? I have the Mojotone one, but it runs 384V-0-384V @ 75ma instead of the 330-50-0-330 120ma specced in the document.

2. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Holic

You can see my build here :
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/blackvibe-6v6-build.1053259/

The circuit is the same but with a couple variations like MV, Presence, standard fixed bias and defeatable NFB.
    I ended up having to use x2 zeners to drop the voltage a touch. I’m currently toying with the idea of 6L6’s at the higher plate voltage (before the zeners) but I need to do a few more investigations first. It’s a very versatile circuit IMHO.

3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

I figure I could make a tremolo pedal if and when I desire one. Probably make a whole effects unit in a box with tremolo, delay and a bunch of others. The limit of four knobs os tough. I am doing a five knob with a BF channel and a Tweed channel with a foot switch to select either one or both together. The volume bass and treble makes three but only have a volume control but not the tone would make it difficult. In that case I might cheat a little and put a pull switched treble and use a 2.2 nF cap in parallel with the 250 pF cap in the BF tone stack. It bumps up the mid dip but you still have a range of tone adjustment. First seen it on the 80's Fenders I think. If I had that to get the BF and tweed sounds I would use the other hole for a master volume. As some pull switch pots come with a dual switch I could see having the one position as a master volume, the other position as a high cut like Vox's or Dr. Z's have.

4. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

I had no use for the second 5e3 channel or interactive controls so I paralleled the input triodes matchless style. That turned out to be a solid decision. If I were not lazy and didn’t already have a laid out turret board, I might consider that “atlas tweed” design floating around instead.

5. dankilling

Dug through the parts bin, and made the call. 6v6 Spitfire it is! Thanks all!

King Fan likes this.
  6. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

7. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Since you mentioned a Silvertone, I've got to say that if you want a straight dirt amp, a 1482 could drop a channel and have a Vol/Tone plus two trem knobs for the 4 holes. I've recapped a couple of them for others, and to me, it does the rocking Black Keys sound better than a 5e3. The tremolo ain't bad either. Just for an option to consider since I don't think anyone else has.

Here is the last one - I think - and it would have been the original speaker in that one. After a cap job.

Wally likes this.
  8. dankilling

6v6 Spitfire coming along nicely. Going with a convertible 1x12 or 2x10 cabinet build. Went with double rabbet joinery to try something new on the speaker cabinet as well. WGS et65 should pair nicely with this. Gut shots soon

Attached Files:

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.