1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5e3 Pedals

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by telejon1, Jun 29, 2014.

1. telejon1

telejon1 TDPRI Member

For those of you that have built one, what pedals do you use with your 5e3? Just curious what faves there are out there.

2. BenM

BenM Tele-Meister

Any that I use with other amps; they take pedals well.

I like to use my Strymon Blue Sky with it, a Timmy, and I just bought a Wampler Dual-Fusion that sounds great with it, but I think that it would sound good plugged into relatively anything, IMHO.

3. Kid Kactus

Kid Kactus Tele-Meister

I use a BBE Two-Timer, a Whirlwind Phaser, and a Route 66 in front of mine. Works fine!

4. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Since I got my EC Tremolux (which is essentially a Deluxe circuit apparently), I haven't felt the need to use any pedals apart from my Mini Vent rotary simulator which sounded glorious and even more like a Leslie than it does with my 57 Twin - which may be down to the extra tweed grind of the Deluxe circuit.

5. adkima00

adkima00 Tele-Afflicted

Delay, chorus when the song calls for it, and a bad monkey for some extra sustain for leads.

6. JimInMO

JimInMO Tele-Meister

Delay and tremolo. Delay is usually set for more of a reverb effect but shortened up occasionally for slap-back. Otherwise a reverb pedal would be fine. I have noticed with mine, a pre-built Boot Hill model, that a pedal that is a little bit noisy with my Blues Deluxe RI is really noisy with the 5E3. Our usual venue is pretty small but occasionally we are in a large multi purpose hall and I have found that really cranked I don't use the delay at all.

7. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Tele-Meister

My favourite with my 5E3 is my Crowther Hotcake pedal, the pedal doesn't have an ugly mid hump like many OD's I've tried and the EQ seems to mate well with the 5E3's EQ and just sounds like more of the same amp, makes it sound bigger at lower volume, of course if you have no volume restrictions and can crank the amp right up then no pedals required. I think opposites work well when it comes to amps and OD pedals, in that respect the Hotcake doesn't mate real well with the more scooped Blackface Fenders I have, too many of the same frequencies being coupled up, but with the Tweed's already heavier mids bias the Hotcake fits well.

A tiny bit of Reverb is sometimes nice and I like my Dr. Scientist Reverberator Pedal for that.

That's my 2 cents.

8. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

A Soul Food with weaker single coils.....that's it. 99% of the time my 5e3 gets a straight guitar signal.

That being said, I have a strymon Flint enroute that I plan to use the trem on my 5e3 and maybe , just maybe, reverb on the rare occasion I play it clean....

9. telebratcher

telebratcher Tele-Meister

During the lengthy honeymoon, I would not put anything in the path. I'm now using my pedalboard, and I'm shocked at how well it all sounds with the deluxe. The key for me is to not use gain pedals to push the amp from clean to overdrive, cause it's not the same thing as having the amp up. I'll turn the bright channel at least halfway up, and roll back the guitar for clean. I'm playing single coils only, so even a compressor pedal (boss cs-2) adds a bit of sustain and sounds natural. I thought I'd not use all my drive pedals with this amp, but:

The soul food (cheap Klon) adds just a touch more gain and sparkle while cleaning up with the guitar's volume knob.

The green rhino from way huge smooths out the drive and adds infinite sustain

My fuzz (a harmonic percolator copy) adds feedback and insanity

All delays, reverb and modulation sounds great as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.