5e3 no longer~

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by dougstrum, Jul 17, 2019.

1. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Got my home built 5e3 working again. It needed work I had let it sit for abt a year.
    Played it at a festival 4th of July weekend.
    Really didn't like the lack of clarity on the bottom 2 strings; though I got several compliments on how good it sounded;)

I decided to make some changes.
    Preamp already had 02 coupling caps and 10/25 bypass caps. The big change was going to fixed bias and el34's~383v plates drawing 34 ma. Pretty low voltage for el34's, and bias at abt 50%, but it sounds full and bottom 2 strings are tight. Tried a few different speakers and settled on an emi 1258.

Can't wait to see how it behaves at a gig!

2. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Adding negative feedback is a pretty worthwhile mod to consider if you are looking for other ways to tighten it up and make it a more versatile amp.

3. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

EL34s draw a lot more heater current than 6V6s, I hope your power transformer is up to the task. I've seen EL34 conversions in silverface Bassmans that melted down.

4. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

I used to work with and old ham radio guy, when he retired he gave me boxes of tube amp stuff:D The PT in this amp is part of his old stash. It held up in a 6l6 amp for yrs.

The other change was to go with SS rectifier, to bump up B+ voltage. So amp only has 2 12ax7 and 2 el34 so I'm pretty confident it will hold up; probably only about 3.5a heater draw.

Also I tend to like amps w/out neg feedback.

Guess I will find out this weekend:cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.