1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5E3 Mute Switch

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by timewaster1700, Apr 30, 2019.

1. timewaster1700

timewaster1700 Tele-Meister

I was reading around about how the standby switch is really a bad idea because of the shock of power to the tubes and filter caps so I was thinking of putting a mute switch in the ground switch slot. Someone on some forum (gearpage maybe?) suggested connecting the switch just before the phase inverter which does seem like a handy spot and when you switch it on it dumps the signal to ground. What I'm wondering is do I need shielded cable running from the V2B grid to the switch or can I run normal wire. I understand there is no current running in that wire when its not muted BUT I'm concerned it might act as an antenna or something and pick up unwanted noise and feed it into the phase inverter.

Am I overthinking this?

2. mcentee2

mcentee2 Tele-Meister

Might as well do the master volume mod instead as it is in the same place both in the circuit and can use that standby switch chassis hole.

You can just turn it to zero to mute plus you have have all the other benefits.

3. timewaster1700

timewaster1700 Tele-Meister

You have a point. I put the master volume knob on my first build (5F11) and I never use it. Its always cranked all the way up. I find with that amp, most of the natural overdrive is from the power tubes so dropping the master volume only leaves the preamp tube distortion and doesn't sound real great to me. The 5F11 is probably much easier to dial the volume than the 5E3 though. I have no problem turning my amp down to practice levels or turning it up until my ears bleed.

I guess with the master volume I'd have to run shielded cable for sure and then I'd have the funky extra knob right on the edge of the chassis. Does it kill your overdrive tone on the 5E3? That's why I'm so interested in the 1/9th power switch since it will keep all the power tube distortion.

4. mcentee2

mcentee2 Tele-Meister

Yes, it will reduce any blocking distortion from the PI onwards, the 6v6 breakup and speaker breakup, however flip that and instead say that it can dial in the amount you find desireable, which may or may not be full blast.

Sometimes you might want to run it a tad cleaner, sometimes not.

I did use shielded cable for mine, however I removed the standby switch and wires completely, moved the on/off switch to the edge and used that original on/off hole for the MV pot so it doesn’t go as near to that. List end.

I would have liked to shift the lamp across as well so all the pots were in a line but can’t be bothered yet to drill out the old “on/off” hole for it!

timewaster1700 and Wally like this.
  5. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Pull the cord halfway out of the jack. Done.

muswell_hillbilly likes this.
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I like your low-tech thinking.

7. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

You can use the switch to sum the PI outputs for an easy mute switch. Just tightly twist the leads like heater wiring and it'll stay noise free.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

timewaster1700 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.