1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5E3 Lite build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by TNO, Aug 22, 2010.

1. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I'm gearing up to do some recording and a regular 5E3 is a bit too loud and bassy for my small space. I'm thinking about building one with a Princeton-sized OT and single 10" speaker. Would go with .02 coupling caps and 30-10-10 on the filters.
    Another way to go might be to convert a 5F2A kit using a copper cap module for the rectifier.
    Opinions?

2. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

A smaller OT might help a little, but it'll still be pretty loud.

You might consider a 5F2 power section and tweak the preamp to taste... or go with an AX84.com p1, p1x, or any other 5 watter. Kalamazoos Model 1 and Les Paul Juniors are cool 5w circuits too.

3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

6K6GT output tubes will cut the output in half. If you try this, you may have to change the B+, I think the normal 5E3 B+ is a little high for the 6K6's. Of course 6V6 and 6K6 don't sound the same, but the mods in the OP would change the sound anyway.

Put the speaker in series with a 10 watt, 8 ohm resistor, then bypass this speaker+resistor combo with two more 10 watt, 8 ohm resistors in series. You are still showing 8 ohms to the amp, and the speaker is getting only 25% of the power.

If you do both of these, your 5E3 is only putting 1.5 watts across the speaker terminals.

4. SnorkelMonkey

SnorkelMonkey Tele-Holic

Try a pair of 6AQ5 or 6AK6's in the PA. Similar to 6V6's in a smaller package and lower watts. 3, 6 watt 5E3? :cool: You could also just add a VVR to a stock 5E3 and take it down to what ever you like for recording and crank it up for gigs?

5. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I've got a few pairs of 6k6s. The Sylvanias seem to be the best of the bunch but they're almost as loud as a 6V6. Black plate RCAs were a big let-down.

I built a 5F2a a few years back and let it go because the single-ended amps don't have the same singing quality when overdriven.

Small OT, 6k6s and a ten inch speaker would probably get me there. It would be cool to do it in a 5F2a chassis but I don't know that I could figure out how to wire the copper cap module and phase inverter.

6. Patrick M

Patrick M Tele-Meister

My amp has a 5E3 power section with a VVR - that is working very well when I play at home - but I can crank it back up when playing out there with a drummer :D

7. Gee

Gee Tele-Meister

VVR is great for what you want. Scale the whole amp and you will end up with a normal 5E3 that can be turned down to TV level and still sound great.

8. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Thanks, I'll check into it.

9. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

What is a VVR? :confused:

10. rainedave

rainedave Tele-Holic

11. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.