1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5E3 layout sheet

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by mondo, Jan 2, 2021.

1. mondo

mondo TDPRI Member

FFC2C8AD-4315-47CE-88E2-584476F56C51.jpeg
    I sketched a blank template of the “Tweed Deluxe” layout to print extra copies for ease of illustration. It’s helping me as a learning tool to map out different grounds, B+, voltage nodes separately. If anyone would like to use this feel free. I will scan a copy and post a PDF later.
    You can add your own pinouts, jack tags and ground locations to match whatever you have planned. The dashed lines are wires under the board or from top of chassis. Let me know if anything is wrong with this. Or use some white out.

David Barnett likes this.
  2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

I doubt it would be considered *wrong*.

The under board ground wire, shown on the diagram below, may attach to a different location depending on the chosen ground scheme. I suppose some white out would take care of the wire location if the chosen ground scheme differed from this layout. Your choice.:)
    Inked5e3try_LI.jpg

mondo likes this.
  3. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Because I saw your avatar: That Bell & Howell speaker looks just like a B&H Jensen P12P I had. It would sound great in a 5e3, if that's what it is!

mondo likes this.
  4. mondo

mondo TDPRI Member

I collect old Bell and Howell stuff. They are some of my all time favourite speakers for clean tones. I don’t know if they are truly P12P. They are rated at 25 watts. Some are smooth cones and some are ribbed. The basket design is completely different from the typical Jensens. They look like perm o flux baskets. BH made them in Canada and Chicago for many years.

Thanks for the annotation to the sheet lower left coast.

5. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

This pic is in a post above yours...this is a great graphic layout pic. 1D9F8E4D-ABA6-423E-A459-91E1D82052BA.jpeg

mondo likes this.
  6. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

Is there explained why that quite complicated grounding is used? I just wrote to another thread about simple grounding I prefer so I am interested if there are better?

It looks strange how there is ground bus thru potentiometer cases which connests to input jack and there is V1 ground which connects to other input jack. It seems there comes ground loop if inputs are connected together if not without?

Perhaps it is aluminium chassis which is thought to need potentiometer case grounding? I don't install pot case ground bus even when I use aluminium chassis!

D'tar and mondo like this.
  7. mondo

mondo TDPRI Member

My build has stainless steel chassis and the pots/jacks aren’t insulated. The pots have small tabs that push tight against the chassis. I hate soldering to pot shells but find it’s doable when using lead solder and flux after sanding them. Maybe insulated jacks and pits are a superior method but the grounds seem like a lot more work.

2L man likes this.
  8. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Don't over think that graphic..... You are correct.... NOT optimal grounding scheme used there. Mojo needs to move to version 4.0 and bring their layout into reality. They took a couple steps backward moving to this image. IMO of course!

Lowerleftcoast and 2L man like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.