5E3 Input Question....

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by JDRNoPro, Oct 30, 2018.

1. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Hi all!

I have a wonderful 5E3 clone that was built by a highly- regarded builder. Have a question about the inputs though: Input 2 on both channels is higher gain (louder) than input 1. This is the opposite of every other fender amp I own/have owned as well as my 5F1 clone. I assume the builder inadvertently switched positions during assembly...…….or is this the way 5E3's are supposed to be laid out?

Thanks!

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Not sure about "higher gain" but there is a kind of singing, compressed sound on a cranked normal channel that you can't get on channel 1

3. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Thanks Charlie - I'm aware of the differences and interaction between the channels but perhaps I wasn't clear about what I am asking.

On my 5E3, input #2 on each channel is louder than input #1 on the same channel. This seems backwards to all my other Fenders and I'm just wondering if the positions got reversed during assembly...… i.e., shouldn't input #1 be louder on each channel instead of input #2 on that channel?

If indeed they are reversed, should be easy to correct - especially if wires are long enough to simply reposition the jacks on the chassis without desoldering/resoldering.

4. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Sounds like the high and low input jacks have been swapped. One way to tell is if you see a 1 meg resistor wired across one or another of the jacks. The resistor usually creates the high impedence for (normally louder) Input 1. If it's across Input 2, there's your problem.

I recently serviced an unmodded '65 Deluxe BF where Channel 2 inputs had been reversed in the factory stock wiring, so it does happen.

ahiddentableau likes this.
  5. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Yes, flyswatter - that's what I am assuming but wanted to verify the 5E3 is the same as other Fenders as far as input 1 volume should be louder than input 2. Thanks.

flyswatter likes this.
  6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah...if you have the volumes set the same...4 or 5, without too much overdrive...and the "mic" channel is louder, I'd say something is bass ackwards.

7. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

quick check with a multi meter and a guitar cord will reveal the 1M location,

8. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Input 2 should be 6 dB down vs. input 1. If you have that kind of difference, they are probably reversed.

9. derekirving

derekirving TDPRI Member

Maybe follow up with the builder and get his feedback/input. Let them know what you're experiencing and ask what the input layout is or should be.

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

In a properly/normally wired input of this type, when plugged only in the #1 input the two 68k input resistors are in parallel and show a 34k resistance. When only input #2 is used, only one of those 68K resistors is in circuit and therefore there is a 6db decrease in that strength if the signal to the input stage.
    I am going to think that your inputs are wired backwards...1 is 2 and 2 is 1.

11. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Yes Wally (and Ricky D), I think this is exactly the case. In fact, I suspect the input jacks simply may be installed in the chassis backwards...….i.e., input jack 1 is installed in jack location 2 and vice versa on both channels. I will open her up and take a look this weekend.

Really appreciate everyone's responses!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.