1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5e3 hum

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Achysklic, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

I’m trying to figure this out. My new 5e3 when plugged in from amp to guitar hums really loud, even when playing. However, if I run guitar into a pedal then to amp it’s quite as a mouse not even a little hum, sound glorious. Is this normal? I have tried multi guitars and different pedals as well, same result on all. Thanks

2. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

Ensure the amplifier has a good mains earth.
    I presume it is quiet with no signal input and no guitar plugged in.

3. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

It is quite with no guitar plugged in. It may be my house wiring. Old house but my other amps never hummed this much. Is the pedal acting as a ground?

mojek likes this.
  4. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

The source impedance is much lower from the pedal. Is there still a loud hum if you plug into the #2 input?

5. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

Yes

6. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Hmm, I was going to suggest the inputs jacks might be miswired, but I think that shoots down my hunch. You might double-check them just for kicks.

mojek likes this.
  7. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

Sounds like the amp is having mains hum injected into the input. Shall attempt a stab in the dark and suggest investigating the impedance from the input jacks to the amps ground. Suspect it’s higher than it should be.

8. mojek

mojek Tele-Meister

This and grounding problem was the first which came to my mind. I would check the input jack wiring if the ring and sleeve are not miswired and fasten the jack screws:)
    Is it klon or original Fender(which year?) Seen unsoldered wire on first preamp tube once and it worked normal years before even someone noticed :)

9. Pick_n_Strum

Pick_n_Strum Tele-Meister

I just looked at the jack wiring in your original build post and as far as I can tell it looks correct. Although I can't verify the resistor values from the photos.

I'm just wondering if you're picking up a bit of hum based on how your grid leaks are oriented. The resistor leg connected to tip is awfully close to the ground connection on the jack - possibly picking up some hum there? I oriented / wired my jacks based on RobRob's layout and it's very quiet.

With all that being said, I don't have the same experience as the guys above, so this is just a suggestion. Maybe they can tell me I'm being silly or something :)

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Home built? All pre amp grounds etc need to go only to ground near the input jacks. Do not take them over to the power supply.
    Not sure if that is it, just a thought.

11. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

Update. Wasn’t the amp at all. I checked all the grounds and wiring nothing wrong the thought might as well try my old guitar cable it’s cheap and not nearly as good as the expensive one I just got. Guess what? It was that good new guitar cable. All is well amp whisper quite. Thanks for the help everyone and for letting me waste your time. I really do appreciate it.

Paul G., JamesAM, hepular and 3 others like this.
  12. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Wow, glad you figured it out!

13. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Extremely jealous yours was an easy fix! my 5e3 buzz required a 130 post thread in here, a complete chassis up rebuild, a new rectifier, and new cathode resistor. Woof. Congrats on a happy ending!

Achysklic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.