1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5e3 help

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by ES347, May 1, 2009.

1. ES347

ES347 TDPRI Member

Building a 5e3 from an STF kit and hitting a bit of a snag...

Build is complete, double checked, and powers up fine. Power tubes seem to be reading correct--425 at the first big cap, cathode voltage of 24.

Amp is not making any noise, however I do have a question--I have mercury iron in the thing, and not sure if I have the two primary taps going into the right spots (of course they don't correlate to any known chart). I know I have the center tap going into the right spot, but I was wondering if I had them backwards, would the amp behave in this fashion.

If this doesn't seem like the problem, where should I start trouble shooting?

2. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Each Rail (side of B+) should go to pins 4 and 6 of the rectifier It should not matter which one goes to which both are the same. Do you have the output transformer hooked up right?

3. ES347

ES347 TDPRI Member

Man...I'm dumb. I'm actually talking about the OT. The center goes to 8 on the rectifier and the primary's should go to 3 on the two 6v6s. If I had the two primarys swapped would that be my problem...if not, where should I start trouble shooting?

4. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Yea I have heard of swapping them to get things right try it and see.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.