5E3 Deluxe Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Sterling Indigo, Jun 12, 2009.

1. CompleteUnknown

CompleteUnknown NEW MEMBER!

I have a new Deluxe clone hand-built by a reputable operation. I notice that if I play on it for an hour or two the chrome on the top of the chassis, on the side of the power and standby switches, gets VERY hot. Too hot to be able to touch with a bare finger for more than about 5 or 10 seconds. There's a Mercury Magnetics transformer under there, and the tubes are pretty standard JJ and Electro-Harmonix. Is this normal? Should I do something about it?

2. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Tele-Afflicted

If you can touch it for that long I wouldn't worry about it.

Tubes get hot, heat rises, and metal transfers heat so you see it's a combination of "all of the above" what you're feeling.

Welcome to the TDPRI & congrats on a cool amp Completeunknown!

3. wreckmark

wreckmark TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

I'm in! Clark Beaufort in the house about 6 weeks now. Amazing how BIG this little amps sounds! Were has the 5E3 been all my life??
    Love it so much, I just ordered a 5F6-A from Mr Clark....Tele's & Tweeds....tone heaven on earth. :)

4. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Tele-Afflicted

Congrats on the Beaufort and the one to come!
    Yes, the Clarks in particular sound bigger than they are.
    I call mine the big, little amp.

5. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Tele-Meister

Here's my two. Built them both myself from the Tube Depot kit, they sound fantastic, I like running them together side by side for a BIG fat Tweed sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Snowy

6. tgftele

tgftele TDPRI Member

Lil Dawg D-Lux On It's Way!

The wait is almost over--ordered my D-Lux 5E3 from Jim at Lil Dawg this morning. It is the stock 12 watt--a trade in/demo chassis in a new Mather cabinet.

I will post some pics when I get it, but just wanted to chime in along with others that Jim at Lil Dawg Amps is top notch to work with--very helpful and knowledgeable. I like his approach and business philosophy, and his commitment to the amps themselves of course. Can't wait to play my dream amp!

7. nasonm

nasonm Friend of Leo's

I know there's a lot of talk about Jim online and rightly so. My 5E3 D-Lux Lunchbox is the only new tube amp I have ever bought and talking with Jim along the way was like talking with a buddy. He just wanted to make me happy and loves what he does.

8. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Tele-Afflicted

9. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Tele-Afflicted

Almost had one.
    There was a guy on TGP wanting to trade one and one of his trade desires was a Clark Beaufort.

I hesitated and it sold instead.

Later that day he contacted me to buy my Clark which I had for sale at the time.

He offered $100. less than I was asking and I already was leaning towards keeping it.

If he had offered my price I would have sold it.

Right after that I pulled the Clark ad.

I've played the DD and like it a lot but find for what I do even when I play out the 5E3 gets it for me in my situations.

Bigger clubs and regular gigs I would go for the Double Deluxe, it is one awesome amp.

10. Jack

Jack Tele-Meister

I've been wanting a 5E3 for a long time, but haven't had the coin. Should have probably bought one when I got my Fender 57 Champ RI, but that's water under the bridge.

Anyhow, I'm looking for some recommendations on how to get into a nice 5E3 on a budget. Are the kits hard to build? I can solder a little and know a bit about electronics so if it's not too difficult I could probably handle a build.

So can you guys give me some advise and lead me in the right direction? There seems to be so many options that it makes it tough.

Thanks.

11. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

A Recorded a sound clip of my Trinity 5E3 Deluxe

I built a Trinity 5E3 kit back in May. I recorded this clip today. Both guitar parts are from my Fender American Series Strat plugged straight into the 5E3 amp. I had the amp volume on 6 for the rhythm guitar part, and on 12 for the slide part. 100% pure natural tube overdrive with single coil pick-ups. Guitar volume knob was maxed.

If you are interested I double mic'd the amp with a Sure SM57 and an AKG C214 condenser mic and blended them.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10790798

[​IMG]

12. tgftele

tgftele TDPRI Member

Pics of the Lil Dawg D-Lux

I hope to post a review out in the amp forum as soon as I get a change to jam out with it. Should be here this week! :lol:

Attached Files:

13. pas_tele

pas_tele TDPRI Member

5D3 Pics

Here are a few pics from my 5D3. Sorry about the quality. I suck at photography.

Attached Files:

14. tgftele

tgftele TDPRI Member

Very nice. I love those originals, congrats!

15. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

Now this is interesting! Sort of a Deluxe/Harvard. I'd like to try a ten in my Clark 5E3 and that looks like a solution. How did the Mojo baffle converter work out? Any problems with additional cabinet rattles?

16. tgftele

tgftele TDPRI Member

Yes I am VERY interested in this as well; although I have considered just ordering a 2x8 or a 1x10 baffle for my amp. Some people will wonder why in the heck I want to do this, but it is so I can record the fully saturated sound without bursting my ear drums. Let us know how it works!! :lol:

17. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Probably not over a drummer without being mic'd.

18. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I've got a 57 Deluxe RI so I guess I'm in.

As it came it had a great sound but bugger-all headroom. But I put a Jensen C12n speaker in it and a 12ay7 tube in position 1. I've only tried it here in the house, but I reckon that it would easily cope with a drummer now. Loads more headroom. Still sounds and responds like a dream amp, but I wasn't able to get it up to distortion level here in this small room. Got too loud for me.

19. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

Yup. Amazing what a difference in headroom and SPL a good ceramic mag speaker makes vis a vis a low-power alnico in a 5E3 (of course, a high-power alnico like a Celestion Blue or an Eminence Red Fang is another matter). In my Clark 5E3 I've got a generic Eminence ceramic 12" that I got years ago when AES was blowing them out for 20 dollars a piece. It is a surprisingly good match for the amp. While I lose the alnico sweetness, the low end is much tighter and the amp is giggable.

20. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Do you know what model speaker that was?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.