5E3 Deluxe Build - A Couple Cabinet Questions

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Pick_n_Strum, Sep 30, 2019.

1. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Build a 5F1 for the 9.5" cab and put a 12" ceramic speaker or one that will clear the chassis.

As for the roundover, use a new/sharp bit, go s-l-o-w and maybe try on a test box beforehand. Do it on a table if you can with a push block to prevent the last finger from tearing out.

Pick_n_Strum likes this.
  2. Pick_n_Strum

Pick_n_Strum TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the tips - after an attempt at rounding over the edges with the router, I quickly decided to change tactics and sand over the edges. I couldn't get an even rout and it was digging in in places. Actually really like the more subtle round over with the finishing sander.

I plan to do a thread a bit later when I get into the electronics - would love some constructive criticism on that aspect of the build.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  3. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I'm obviously a little late on this thread, but I'll agree with some earlier posts about the depth. I've built 2 cabinets that I used the full-width 1x12 (11-1/4" or so I guess finished) without ripping it, and both had overtones like a floor tom that I've never had to deal with any other time. I don't go beyond 10" deep with a straight front or 10-1/2" on an angled cabinet now.

schmee and Pick_n_Strum like this.
  4. Pick_n_Strum

Got it - after sanding / cutting out some errors, my top ended up being close to 9 1/4 and the bottom is obviously slightly wider. I was planning on posting some more pictures up here soon.

Ended up hating the stain job I initially did - I went with antique walnut stain + poly. I definitely over applied it in some areas and I'm sure my sanding wasn't the most consistent. Ended up sanding and distressing it in spots, then went over the entire thing with amber shellac. I love it now...I'll try and get some photos up shortly.

5. jsnwhite619

Stain on pine HAS to have a conditioner or seal coat to get anywhere close to even color out of it. Usually ends up like a leopard print without it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

6. Pick_n_Strum

Got it

I needed you in my life like 2 weeks ago, haha! Good to know for future builds.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  7. Pick_n_Strum

I owe you guys some cabinet photos. I'm happy with how it turned out but there are definitely a few things I'd do differently next time. Ended up getting that angle in the front, which was a bit of trial and error with my basic tools and knowledge. The major thing for me with those cuts was keeping my fingers away from any saw blades. Ironically / stupidly, I cut the tip of my thumb off while gutting a deer last weekend. Sounds like I should keep all of it which is good for my guitar playing. With the injury, it was tough to pull the grill cloth tight - That's potentially the one thing I'll have to go back and re-do; unless you guys have any tricks for getting it tighter with it already in place.

Attached Files:

8. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

That cane grille is a (female canine) to get straight and tight even with perfectly functional thumbs.

Pick_n_Strum likes this.
  9. jsnwhite619

I had to go check that my old cabinet was still there! This was the first one I built several years ago.
    [​IMG]

King Fan and Pick_n_Strum like this.
  10. jsnwhite619

If you redo the cane, soak it in hot water for 5 minutes or so before you put it on. When it dries to t will pull itself tighter than you will ever do it on your own. That's how they do chairs.

Pick_n_Strum likes this.
  11. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

I like your pre-relic'd finish. The common rap on uncovered pine is it's tendency to dent and scar. No worries, mate, you've got that, um, covered... :)

Pick_n_Strum likes this.
  12. Pick_n_Strum

That's awesome! I made its twin - I was going off some photos on google of Deluxes that I liked the look of - The Vintage Sound Amps cherry wood deluxe was kind of what I was going after.

I'll try your recommendation on soaking the cane once I've got 2 fully functioning hands again.

Yeah the finish looked so bad when I first put it on that I was initially just trying to even it out. As noted a few posts up, I never conditioned / sealed the pine so the stain just globbed on there. Once I started sanding it, I realized I liked the relic'd / knicked up look so I just went for it.

Again, appreciate all the help!

I have just started on the electrical side of things. I'll throw a thread up in the shock brothers forum because I have a lot to learn yet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.