5e3 Deluxe bee box cab, need some help / confirmation on panel measurements.

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Chunkocaster, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

A dovetail jointed bee box I ordered arrived today and I have been trying to work out what the measurements are for the top and bottom front and back facia panels, ie how far they come down and up from top and bottom of cab. I'm working in millimetres. I would like to get as close to fender spec as possible but will have to go thicker with the front and back fillers due to local availability. I'm using 11mm pine for the front facia extensions. The rear panels I can use 6mm or 7mm ply whichever is closer to fender spec?

The front baffle i'm unsure how thick to go? I'm making two front baffles, one for 2x8" and one for a 12" speaker but will use the same sheet to make both baffles. I'm installing my 5f1 clone in this but want to keep my options open for possibly re cutting the top and mounting a 5e3 amp in it down the track.

20200219_203443.jpg

I have seen a couple of bee box cabs on here so feel free to post pics for inspiration if you have them.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  2. Chunkocaster

3. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Use 3/8 baltic baltic birch with 1/4 build up strips around the perimeter for the baffle.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Thanks, is that what they use on the tweed deluxe reissue cabs?

I have to go up to 10mm and 7mm as that's the closest I can get to those two measurements from the local hardware store. The front facia pieces are going to be quite a bit thicker as I have to go to 12mm on those if I want solid pine. I think fender spec is more like 9mm. Hopefully it wont be too noticeable. Surprisingly the basic bee box is nearly spot on for a tweed deluxe spec cab dimensions.

5. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Not 100% certain in the reissues. Smaller champs and such may be 1/4, but a 12" speaker weighs more and wants to flex more, its its possible to warp a basket if the baffle flexes too much.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. Chunkocaster

I checked and I cant get 9, 10 or 11mm ply, I can get 7mm and 3mm though so I think i'll just get one of each and glue them together to make a 10mm sheet for the baffle.

The plan I looked at lists 9.65mm as what was used on tweed deluxe. 10mm should be good for a 12" and I will make the baffle for the 2x8" out of the leftover 7mm with a brace in the middle, the leftover 3mm ply can then be used to frame the baffles to space the grill cloth off them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.