5e3 chassis suppliers

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by BobSmith, Jul 16, 2019.

1. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

Disappointed by my first 2 Mojotone chassis for the 5e3, which suffered from severe peeling of electroplating, I decided to try a third, the tube depot.

I received my Tube Depot one today. It’s not electroplated, but rather just straight up polished stainless steel.

My first impressions:
    Size and cutouts are pretty well matched. The Mojotone (MT) is slightly longer, as you can see by the pictures. I don’t think the size difference is significant (but when it comes to the 5e3, bigger and more space is better right?). The cutouts for sockets, switches and jacks are basically the same. The power cable hole on the Tube Depot (TD) chassis has a round hole instead of the Mojotone “cutoff” circle. Not sure which will hole the wire strain relief better yet (but I’m guessing the MT will hold better)

Polished stainless on TD, not quite as reflective as the MT.

The corner welding job on the MT is very good. TD just folded the sides up, no welding! Not nearly as sturdy as MT.

TD has a premounted grounding lug next to the PT cutout. Not sure what the point of that is. Anyone could drill a hole where they want and mount one. Why do I have to use this one? If I don’t like the placement I may end up grinding it off. Sheesh, I don’t like that!

Finish work on edges of TD is a bit rough. Holes are deburred well, but the corners are VERY sharp. I may take a file to the, before I get started on it. Don’t want bleeding knuckles.

Overall, I’m not sure I found the best chassis yet. I guess I like everything about MT except the VERY poor cosmetics.

Anyone really happy about their chassis?

Pics to follow. Sorry I don’t have a clean 5e3 chassis to compare. One MT is built another getting started.

The built one is MT. The one with blue tape is also MT. The one in the middle labeled with standby is TD (also has a white protective film that I haven’t removed yet).

Attached Files:

2. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I've been using my last few chassis from amplified parts.com. at the time they were a little bit cheaper than Mojo but I also considered Mojo better quality. at this point I've talked to several people who have had the same issues with mojotone chassis so I'm beginning to think they've just gone downhill from what they used to be. My last Mojo had better chrome plating but the screen printing wasn't what it should have been. Not when you're spending nearly $100 for a chassis.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

My last build was a Tube Amp Doctor chassis, and the chrome looked like it hadn't seen a polishing mop.

4. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

If memory serves, my 5E3 chassis came from triode electronics. It was nicely done. The electroplating was high quality and the screen printing was solid. But I bought a long time ago--it's been at least six years, possibly a bit more--so I suppose things could have changed in the interim.

5. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Being a cheapskate, and wanting something different, I got a brown powder coated one off the Bay, seems like around $50. My (really good), guitar playing friend fell in love with the sound, and is talking me into building him one, but he wants "traditional" looks. I'm tempted to try one from Mable Audio.

http://www.mableaudio.com/en/productview.asp?sid=614

jtcnj likes this.
  6. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

I have just bought a mable audio/ampmart 5E3 chassis. On vacation but I'll post pix on my return. I have their 5F2a and I suspect the manufacturer also supplies some US outlets.

Bill Moore likes this.
  7. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

Black powder coating sounds nice. I wonder if there such a thing...

8. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

Definitely let us know impressions. I’m wondering about the sturdiness/stiffness, edge quality (properly deburred), and whether you can drill holes in it without peeling the chrome plating....

Looking forward to hearing about this!

Paul-T likes this.
  9. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

I wrote to Tube Depot to get some details about their chassis. They offer 2. One (the one I got) is the stainless steel with polished face (no welding of corners). The other one they confirmed is from Mojotone. That is also the one they sell in their 5e3 kit. That was a surprising revelation. Especially since their YouTube video of the 5e3 build shows them successfully drilling holes in it. They also indicated to me the possibility of peeling with holes drilled.

I wonder if more sellers aren’t just distributing the Mojotone chassis.

I see some Chinese options but not sure if I can count on their quality.
    Still lost on this one...

10. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I think the falling off in Mojo's plating is a recent thing. The 5e3 I built last year with their chassis had zero issues with peeling -- and I'm a guy who drills extra holes. I hope they'll go back to their previous supplier -- or find a new one as good.

On the second item, reselling Mojo stuff is a very common practice among smaller shops, most of all in the eastern US but even in the EU, where at least in the past TAD kits were Mojo... Luckily, most Mojo stuff is good stuff -- I like their Dijon caps a ton -- so let's hope this plating snafu is a one off, and that they just bought a large enough lot that they feel compelled to keep selling them 'til they're gone. I hope...

BobSmith likes this.
  11. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

Both Mojotone and Tube Depot have acknowledged the problem. Tube Depot and Mojotone say their own techs are complaining about it as well. I showed them these posts too.

Mojotone said they’re working with their supplier to fix it. I’m gonna wait until I get their green light to get another from them. If I hear something I’m gonna post to the group. If someone else gets word of some good sources in the meantime...don’t keep it a secret!

12. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Here's mine.. scratch-built and spray painted. Complete with fancy lettering a la black Sharpie. I think it lends a certain style the amp..no frills but kick-a$$ tone! IMG_20190719_103249968.jpg

jtcnj, BobbyZ, BobSmith and 1 other person like this.
  13. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

Ain’t nuttin wrong with that! Did you make it from stock sheet metal?

For a second I thought it even had a BS switch.

14. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

I wrote back to Mojotone and they indicated that they just got a new batch of chassis that are supposed to have better electroplating. He pulled one for me and I should be receiving it soon. I’ll know very quickly if is really better or not. All I have to do is hit it with my center punch which failed on every try with the last 2 chassis I had. I’ll post the results of what I find. (And let them know too!)

jsnwhite619 and Paul-T like this.
  15. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Mojo used to carry a 16 ga chassis blank. I used a couple of them. Hard on drill bits.

This one, I polished & gun blued and did a kind of baked on linseed oil finish. A friend of mine ended up with this one.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

16. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The only complete kit I've bought was from Boot Hill Amps, and I thought the quality was very good throughout.

17. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

Sorry for delay.

Here's the Mable/ Ampmart chassis. Two of them, 5F2a and 5E3.

Link for ampmart is here.

As you'll see price is circa $28. Use the postage calculator on the site and postage comes in at $25 or so, but enquire by mail and it's cheaper, I think $18 to Europe. The 5F2a chassis was damaged by customs opening it. As a result they did me a deal on the 5E3 chassis - $30 including post to Hong Kong.

Welds etc all look good to me. The chrome is better on the 5F2 (apart from the damn scratch), the metal has not been finished as well on the 5E3 - photos show it. But it's fine for me, just a slight brushed texture. I've only checked fittings etc in the 5F2 but for example my Hammond 290CAX fits perfectly.

They are pretty good to deal with. I ordered via Ampmart and spoke to Carlo. Mable seem to be exactly the same people at hte same address IIRC , with slightly differenet stock.

Feel free to ask for more info or photos. Hope this is helpful.

I have to drill a hole in the 5F2a chassis soon to mount the board (my board is a 5F1) so I'll post photos of the result.

Personally I wouldn't buy Chinese capacitors etc as the saving isn't worth it if you factor in the cost of our labour, but I think these chassis are great for the money and might well be from the same source more expensive suppliers use.

Main .jpg interior .jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    jtcnj and BobSmith like this.
  18. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

Thanks for posting! Very curious about how the holes work out.
    Does it feel pretty rigid?

Mojotone forgot to ship out my new one, but I’ve been too busy to get after them...

19. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

They're very solid. Weight is 1.2Kg, 2lb 9oz.

20. jtcnj

jtcnj Tele-Holic

Since it has been discussed, here is mine.
    A#1 cheapskate here; mine is DIY from an alarm panel enclosure.
    She's not pretty but she puts out.
    Painters tape labels, Robrob MV in place of Normal LO input.

IMG_0301.JPG IMG_0303.JPG 20181221_192322.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.