5E3 cabinet build- square or angled front?

jman72

Friend of Leo's
Hi Everyone,

I'm starting on a scratch-built 5e3, and I'm getting ready to build the cabinet. I'm making it out of 25 year old white pine, and I plan on leaving it naturally finished (no tweed or tolex).

My question for all of you is whether or not to angle the front of the cabinet up (like the traditional design), or just go with a square box. I've seen many built both ways on this forum, and both ways look great. Is there any advantage to either (other than simplicity)? I know the angled-up front will point the speaker up (giving somewhat better projection), but does the narrower top make it more cramped around the chassis/transformers (limiting speaker choice, for example)?

This is my first amp build (although I'm experienced with woodworking/cabinet building and have built a couple of other instruments), so any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

John

jman72

Friend of Leo's
Yeah, I thought the angled front was the way to go. It should be no problem, so I'll just go with the traditional cabinet.

KCStratMan

Tele-Afflicted
Slant front definitely projects sound up and out better especially when amp is on the floor. Stock slant back angle is 2.5degrees, aftermarket cabs are often made an inch deeper for speaker-tube clearance with 3 degree slant in front.

jman72

Friend of Leo's
Thanks KC. The plans I have are just like the ones you posted. Are these the "stock" dimensions, or the "aftermarket", deeper dimensions? Which do most people seem to prefer?

KCStratMan

Tele-Afflicted
These plans are stock dimension, I checked my combo cab is 1/2" deeper, top 9" depth, bottom 10" with 3 degree slant back in front. This gives nice even dimensions and allows more clearance between back of speaker magnet and tubes. Some 12" speakers have much deeper magnet or magnet cover than original and will not clear tubes.

jman72

Friend of Leo's
I've got plenty of wood to work with (12" boards), so I'll go deeper to give me more clearance. I've also read about using a slightly taller cabinet (18" versus 16") to make better use of the bass that the Tweed is known for. It supposedly sounds fuller. I don't know, you can keep researching these things forever- eventually I'll just have to build it!