5E3 build.

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Bill Moore, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted

I built myself a Deluxe several years ago, and took it to my friend to let him play through it, (he's a real guitar player!) He was impressed!
    He has quite a collection of mostly Blackface and Silverface amps, (I think he also has a Brown Pro.) This year he decided he needed a Tweed for his collection. He sourced a lot of the components, Dakaware knobs, NOS sockets, tubes, etc. (He even found a period correct Jensen, and pilot lamp). The cabinet is beautiful as well, and looks straight out of the 50's.
    I built a turret board and populated it with CC resistors, and Jupiter/Sozo tone caps. It has a little less noise than mine, (maybe these caps with the foil end are worth the price!) i started with JJ's, and then installed the NOS tubes he wanted, the JJ's had a little more dissipation than the RCA's, but of course my ears can't hear the difference.
    I'm taking to him Friday, and am anxious to hear him play through it!
    RD20.jpg RD19.jpg

Attached Files:

Drew617, screefer, 2L man and 9 others like this.
  2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Very nice build Bill!

3. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Awesome! I love me some tweed tone.

4. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That's a gorgeous build. Your friend chose the right builder.

Drew617 likes this.
  5. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Looks great. Your post made me think of two things.

First: With the grocery list of mods for a 5E3 available, the stock circuit still sounds fantastic, and I usually consider taking mine back to stock when I play one that is.

Second: Your comment about the new vs vintage tubes. I built a 5f11 Vibrolux for someone a year or two ago and gave it to him with JJ's - what I always use all the time. He came back a while later with some RCA's or something NOS that he wanted to try and wanted me to bias it and check it out. I know you can't make a general statement based on one set of tubes. And I probably have the least experience with actual vintage amps and old tubes than most people around here. But, the JJ's swept the floor with the RCA's. Reduced power, mushier sound, just weak in general. They went back in and the NOS tubes went back in the box. For all I know, that's what they were supposed to sound like and my JJ's don't sound like a 6v6 should....I have no idea. But, I guess what I'm saying is, don't feel bad if you swapped JJ's for NOS and didn't immediately hear the sound of angels singing, don't feel bad about it. ;-)

Drew617 and Bill Moore like this.
  6. Bill Moore

Thank you all!
    I made a couple of "switchable" mods when I built mine, but I never seem to switch them. The fellow also wanted as close as possible to what Leo designed. (I went through a couple dozen CC resistors to get the closet values I could!) I found the Ohmite cathode resistor on the bay, it measures 251 ohms.
    jsnwhite619, the VA fitted me with hearing aids several years ago, and I have gone back twice to get the higher frequencies boosted. Even with the "Music" setting, I know I'm not hearing what most folks do.
    Even so I thought the little amp sounded pretty good!

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  7. bluesintheblood

bluesintheblood Tele-Meister

This is quickly becoming a potential need build for me as well

got the itch...

but that's another story

8. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I've used 270R cathode resistors on the ones I've built. It comes in around 90% bias usually, but with the 5e3 and 5f2/5f1 amps, I've always seemed to like a bias cooler than 100%. I use 270R for 5e3 and a 500R instead of 470R on the Champ & Princeton amp. All personal taste, but after seeing "set them at 100%" all over the place, I ended up liking them cooler than that. Never hurts to experiment.

2L man likes this.
  9. Bill Moore

When I built my 5E3, I used a GZ34 as my 5Y3 was dead, a 270 ohm resistor brought it close to 100%. Someday, I'm going back in and reinstall the correct rectifier, and re-bias. Since I used a DR PT, I had added a switchable "fixed" bias setting, but with the GZ34 there's not much difference.

10. Bill Moore

I delivered the little amp to my friend over the weekend, and was happy to hear him play through it. It's amazing to me, (a guitar hack), what a real player can do with just a guitar-cord-amp!
    He really made it sing, and was pleased to get it!

11. mazzclown

mazzclown TDPRI Member

That's a damn pretty chassis if I may say. Great work! I had a hernia surgery June 8th and built a 5E3 while I healed. I started with a Hammond organ power amp and ended up buying all new everything and did nothing with the Hammond. Possibly the most fulfilling thing I've done in years.

Jackadder, Bill Moore and Drew617 like this.
  12. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Insert/link real player soundfilez here

upload_2021-8-3_13-34-34.png

mountainhick and Bill Moore like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.