1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5E3 Build w/ B+ Gone Awry

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Huddy, Nov 1, 2020.

1. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Good. But I'd be slow to up your cathode resistor much, especially if you're worried about preamp B+. Let us know how it sounds and how the bias calculates (figure it at both 12W and 14W unless they redplate).

And I still suggest Rob's 'cathode resistor voltage drop' method. Easy and precise.

ThermionicScott, JamesAM and Huddy like this.
  2. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Holic

Yeah I've got 250, 470, and 750 on hand. So I'll probably get a handful in the 300-400 range.

That EH 6v6 has a lot of great reviews. One said they were made in the same factory as the JJs but I don't know if that's accurate. Will be interesting to how they compare in appearance. Semi related - I got a JJ 12AY7 and a TAD Premium Selected 12AY7 and they were identical in appearance. I look forward to testing them under voltage and see if they react the same within the circuit this weekend. I don't know if my ears are discerning enough to detect any subtle differences.

3. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Holic

The new Mullards 6V6's are good too. Welcome to the Terror Dome!

4. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm no expert on tubes, much less modern tubes, but I think JJ are ??Slovak and EH are (IIRC) made in the big Russian Reflektor factory in Saratov, along with Sovtek and reissue TS, Mullard, Svetlana... But as I understand and as you can tell, the various Reflektor tubes are not just rebrands -- they vary in construction.

As for TAD, I *think* their 'select' tubes come from standard production coming out of the usual factories -- so if it looks *exactly* like a JJ, it might be one.

Huddy likes this.
  5. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Holic

Yes exactly. I had a set of TAD 6L6GCs that I put in a 74 Twin and I wish I had paid more attention to their construction before selling it to possibly see what they were. I'm always intrigued by the rebranding of certain models and what these companies "see" in them and how some might not make the cut for what reason - noise, microphonics, whatever.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.