5E3 A/B Compare

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by mkerlin, Mar 29, 2020.

1. mkerlin

mkerlin TDPRI Member

Had so much fun building my first 5E3, and I wasn't thrilled with it, so I built another with different components. I think they sound very different, but I wanted a way to A/B them with similar settings to compare. I had bought an extra Weber 12A125 by mistake so I took apart my 5F8A, put the Webers in, connected the amps and A/B the guitar and there you have it. Pic attached.

I could use some ideas on settings (tube swaps, speaker swaps?) that would give the most bang for the buck. Clearly there are infinite choices but I'm not interested in doing this forever (I need to spend more time practicing than anything else). Once I have some audio I'll summarize the builds and post.

Attached Files:

Wally and D'tar like this.
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Do you have voltage charts and bias numbers for the two amps? If the voltages and biasing are different and the OT’s are different, then it is a natural thing for them to sound very different. In fact, if just one of those aspects is different, the amps will sound different. Congrats on building two of them!!!

robrob likes this.
  3. mkerlin

mkerlin TDPRI Member

I do. I will post those as well.

Wally likes this.
  4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Like many tweeds minor changes make a big difference in 5E3s. Supposedly stock builds with supposedly identical components often sound different.

Tube rolling makes a difference. It looks like the OP has JJs in one and something else in the other.

I might post my favorite 5E3 Secret Recipe if I could narrow it down to just one. That would be counterproductive. Left unsupervised, the modified amp would eat the stock one.

:D :D :D

ce24 and Wally like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.