1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5E3 10" greenback

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by SacDAve, Jan 21, 2021.

1. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I put a 10” greenback in one of my 5E3’s. I had a 12” weber the amp sounded OK but not my best one. I think part of the problem the cabinet is made from Canary wood very dense wood I think that had a lot to do with the sound. With the 10” I’m liking the sound so far. Still haven’t been able to open it wide open. I built another 5E3 with a 12” green back it sounded really good (ply cab) That one I gave to friend for helping me paint the doors in our house. I believe the greenbacks are less efficient that the weber 12”. Next I take to my friends house were we can open it up.
    IMG_7298.jpg IMG_7295.jpg

2. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Very nice cabinet. Did you notice a significant volume drop?

3. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

Beautiful cabinet!

4. ponycar

ponycar TDPRI Member

Nice! I just put a 10" 16 ohm Hreenback in an old Kustom PA cab to run off of my 1 watt Marshall tube amp. The sound texture/voice of the amp is amazing compared to the original 8" Celestion factory speaker. The original combo sounds good, with the extension cab and Greenback I'm thrilled. I had no idea that the change could be so significant.
    Enjoy your set up.

5. SacDAve

Not really with the one had with the 12" greenback compared to a 12" weber 125125A, Jensen P12Q and Celestion Blue the greenback had less volume

6. SacDAve

the speaker is one of the most important things in the sound chain of an amp.

7. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

Jensen P12Q is my favorite 12" because its sensitivity is only about 94dB so I can open amp more without volume getting too loud. Blue sensitivity is 97dB so,it is bit louder but where P12Q low volume sound clear Blue needs more volume to sound as good. Blue low volume is warm but it makes sound darker but P12Q has interesting roar which has vintage vibe but it sounds modern as well and I like it best when I try to play Zeppelin, SVR etc.

My favorite home playing 10" loudspeaker is P10R-F because its sensitivity is very low only 92,5dB and it also colors sound more on lowers power than any other of my loudspeakes and it sound very sweet but its vintage heritage can not be hided.

I also like 10" Gold which loud sound is best I have heard including 12" but it begins to "breathe" only on guite high volume.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.