'59 tele blonde whiteguard slab toploader

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by msg315, Sep 6, 2019.

1. msg315

msg315 TDPRI Member

Did fender make a '59 tele blonde whiteguard slab toploader? the toploaders were introduced in '58 and phased out by '60. the slabs were introduced in '59 and phased out in late '62. getting the combination is my question. I have yet to see one, (other than mr. page's of course!).

Anyone?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Greggorios likes this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I don’t have one but I know I’ve seen them for sale all were 59’s I believe some with top loader and strings through.
    I haven’t seen any top loaders from 60
    Although I think the early 59 maple neck top loaders are more abundant

Greggorios likes this.
  3. msg315

msg315 TDPRI Member

thanks. yes, plenty of maple neck top loaders out there! i think the rosewood '59's were at best "string throughs" and top loaders as leo used left over top loader bridges into '60 until supply depleted.

Greggorios likes this.
  4. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Aren’t the new Jimmy Page Teles toploader and slab rosewood? Based on his 59...

5. msg315

msg315 TDPRI Member

could be, but i'm asking about 1959, not a reissue.

6. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

The Jimmy Page telecasters have holes in the body for string ferrules, and the bridges are drilled for top loading (and regular through the body loading) like his original. There are pictures of him playing it strung up toploading, but he had the option to sting it through the body as well.

This was how 1959 (and some 1960) rosewood board teles and esquires left the factory. I have not heard of any top loading only rosewood board tele. Only some 1958 and 1959 maple neck teles and esquires were top loading only. (Jim Campilongo has one) Of course, with Fender you never know....

Here's a pic of a 1960 tele bridge.

1960 bridge.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    2blue2, nojazzhere and whoanelly15 like this.
  7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Just a thought, is it relatively straightforward to make these holes in a regular bridge yourself with a decent drill and bit?

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Right, but certainly one of the more notable examples.

Just to clarify, you’re saying the bridge plates were indeed drilled for top loading by the factory?

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Yes....I've done it. Really only works with a three saddle bridge. I tried once with a six saddle version, with poor success.

rze99 likes this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Are you sure that's a "factory" top-loader? Those holes look as if they've been added, or at least "reamed out". Every factory top load I've seen (and admittedly not a LOT) the holes were drilled before plating was done......just asking.

11. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

No, I'm not 100% sure, but it does show what the 59/60 bridge plates looked like.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

[QUOTE/ Just to clarify, you’re saying the bridge plates were indeed drilled for top loading by the factory?[/QUOTE]

Yes, drilled for top loading and regular string through the body. This was normal for mid 59 to 1960. Maybe there are 61's too? Anyway, here's a pic of Jimmy Page's actual bridge. His vintage ash body has been stripped in this photo. You can see it has both stringings available...

Capture6.PNG

nojazzhere and 2blue2 like this.
  13. msg315

msg315 TDPRI Member

thanks. this is the conclusion i have reached as well, ie no period specific, factory, top loading only slab boards. interesting that configuration never really came to be. i have a 4/59 maple esquire toploader that is magic, was just hoping to find a slab board version tele.

14. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

Yes that’s my understanding as well, have definitely never seen or heard of one at least.

Also on a related note, my maple esquire toploader is 3/59 and magic too. It seems to have it’s own thing and differs from other teles/esquires I’ve played from that era. I’ve come across a few vids online of them and they sounded very similar too.

But then I’ve heard plenty say the toploading bridge makes no difference. There’s an old Norms vid with Joe B playing one and he says “I challenge anyone to tell the difference sonically”.

All a bit confusing. I’m not saying they’re better, just that I thought mine sounded different and contributed part of that to the toploading configuration.

What have you found with yours?

15. msg315

msg315 TDPRI Member

'59 esquires are in a class of their own. i think philx, kid ramos of the fabulous thunderbirds, and the pedal guys (start video at 21 minute mark) sums it up pretty well.

16. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

We need to remember it was a big cross over at that time for fender .
    The top loader was intended to be a time saver on machining even on early teles you will see that getting the ferrules in line on the back of the body created problems and at times looked messy . So some bridges are machined for both due to the needs to make sure parts are always available for what ever body is made so as such some will have both sets of holes made some Wont . The only real way of knowing would be to check production runs and stock intake from the bridge suppliers . Which as we know is impossible.
    Its doubt full a 59 rosewood neck tele would be just a top loader same as a maple neck strat in 59 would be the exception not the rule.
    They ordered parts for each run same as today although as we know with pots and neck plates etc there can be some over run. Feed back from players at the time must have been that through body was better hence why it still happens today ?.

17. msg315

msg315 TDPRI Member

jim campilongo

18. Stratwrangler

One last point it won't so much affect sound as much as feel a top loader will have less of a break angle over the Saddles which will feel slinkier, as opposed to to through body. Like a Gibson stop tail , you can have the action set on the abr1 but raise the tail will reduce the break on the strings. Has to be similar on a top loader?.

19. Stratwrangler

Msg315 what you mean?

msg315 likes this.
  20. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

Nice one. I've seen those others way too many times, but hadn't seen the kid ramos vid. Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.