59 LP Jr : what are the stories behind this Frankenstein headstock?!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by EsquireBoy, Dec 24, 2019.

1. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

FWIW, those repairs look really old. I bet that headstock has been like that for at least 40 years.

For an extra few hundred, a skilled repair person could make it look like none of that ever happened.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Somebody has confused their minor holidays. This is Boxing Day, not April Fool's.

3. zcostilla

zcostilla TDPRI Member

I wouldn’t pay more than a grand for that, and then I’d have a new neck put in.

4. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

The bit that made me smile was the description, 'evidence of past headstock repairs' - I do love a dealer that goes over a guitar with a fine toothcomb and doesn't miss anything!

I'd love to have a go at repairing this - replace the veneer on the front, do a Frank Ford style backstrap repair where you rout the area thin and then add new wood to the rear. There's no need to replace the neck. But the asking price is what it would be worth after a good sympathetic repair, not before. At the moment it's worth the value of the parts plus a few hundred for the husk.

CME tends to be realistic about stuff that isn't selling though, it will come down if it's not getting attention at the current price.

Dan German and EsquireBoy like this.
  5. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Those 3 bolts going completely through the side of the headstock are insane the front to back ones seem more understandable
    This thing must have been smashed

Looks to have snapped off at least 2-3 times I imagine , with each subsequent “repair” adding to its “uniqueness”

It’s a shame because it looks to be in fairly good shape other than the headstock It’s light weight and has a nice neck size

Says they recently gave it some more headstock surgery , I wouldn’t buy it unless it was 1500-2000 because it May happen again and at that point you could

A. Graft on a new headstock with new veneer

B. Make a replacement neck and use the salvaged Brazilian rosewood for it

C. (The most expensive option, if they’d even do it) ship it off to gibson and have them make a new neck with the salvaged board
    (I’m pretty sure gibson would probably charge more than 5000 dollars to do that one)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    EsquireBoy likes this.
  6. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

I could see the repairs being interesting or even desirable if it had some ownership provenance that had a compelling back-story, much like J.J. Cale’s Fifty Dollar Guitar. I think it's cool, just not $3,395 worth of cool.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  7. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

what's a mint condition one worth?

If somebody did a clever repair and hid all of the nonsense, would it be worth that much more?

It says the most recent repair was done by CME in house along with replacing the tuners and nut and a fret dressing, so I'm guessing they deem it to be stable and playable.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/Vintage-1959-Les-Paul-Junior-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

GC has one, same year, same finish, replaced tuners, none of the scars for 5999, so CME's price doesn't seem all that out of line to me really.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Some people have a hard time letting go of vintage or historic gear. There are enough existing good examples.

Let it go.

9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

That might buff out.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  10. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Here's a walkthrough of how this would best be approached:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Lut...kenHeadstocks/BackstrapOverlay/phoverlay.html

The CMI guitar might be a touch more complicated than this example but it's not far off.

It's a real shame to lose the whole neck to deal with the mess left by the previous repair. Traditionally Gibson did re-neck guitars fairly regularly, which sometimes creates vintage oddities where a 50s guitar has a narrow, skinny neck because Gibson simply fitted a neck from a pile of parts destined for a new build. Nowadays they do offer restoration at a very high cost, but what I've seen has been more in line too restoring an old car where you end up with something that barely looks used - not what the vintage market favours, certainly! I think stuff like this is better let to people that spend all day everyday working on vintage guitars - they know exactly what to do to produce the best possible repair and minimise any loss in value caused by the damage.

Fretting out and EsquireBoy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.