59 Esquire for sale at Retrofret

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by EsquireBoy, May 14, 2021.

1. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

https://www.retrofret.com/product.asp?ProductID=9649

This is the most beautiful blonde I've ever seen. It's got this kind of "reverse blonde burst" you find on Mary Kaye Strats, where the edges are lighter than the center.
    9649_07.jpg
    9649_03.jpg
    They're not all like this one, so is this "burst" original from the factory or is it due to yellowing over the years? (And if so, why does the lacquer yellow more on the center?)

2. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Wow! That is a lovely aged color I must say! 22K.... wow... never ceases to amaze me what the costs for these old girls are these days. "The neck is not dated (correct for mid-1959)" - Huh! I didn't know this! I presumed all Fender necks were dated or marked in some fashion, even in the old days! Learn something new every day I guess ;)

EsquireBoy likes this.
  3. knavel

knavel Tele-Holic

According to the Fender section on the GuitarHQ website:

• Early 1959: Due to a complaint by a Fender customer as to an obscenity written on the neck butt, no markings were used for the first part of 1959. I've seen dates of 6-59, so they started using them again at least by mid-year.

EsquireBoy and Telekarster like this.
  4. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Top loader!

Fretting out and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Telekarster

Wow... I wonder what it said... was this true for all their guitars that year?

aadvark and EsquireBoy like this.
  6. d barham

d barham Tele-Afflicted

Gorgeous. That neck, although it surely is original, looks almost too good to be true. Yes, neck dates are hit and miss. My '60 has no neck date. It's nice to have the confirmation of a neck date, but they just weren't considering the collector market sixty years later when the built guitars in the 50's/60's.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  7. knavel

knavel Tele-Holic

I have no idea what it said--I would enjoying learning I'm sure!

I *think* it's the case with all models--I know my brother's April 59 Esquire doesn't have a neck date and I don't think my 59 Strat has one either. I haven't had it apart since the 80s so I can't recall for sure now.

Telekarster likes this.
  8. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

That really is gorgeous. Sorry I can't help with the questions you posed. Thanks for sharing!

Skamania and EsquireBoy like this.
  9. Telekarster

That would interesting for sure! LOL! Gosh... I have all sorts of stories running through my head now... :lol::lol::lol:

10. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I would think that the centre is more yellow because the clear coat has worn off more at the edges.

The actual paint is white, while the clear coat over the top is what turns yellow with time.

As there is less clear coat left at the edges, the white paint shows through more.

I'm sure someone will point out if I'm wrong, but I'd imagine that's what's happening.

11. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I would like to play that - just to get it out of my system. There is a mystique behind vintage instruments, but I've played plenty that sounded like boat anchors.

hemingway likes this.
  12. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

Extremely plausible, works for me.

Fretting out and hemingway like this.
  13. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

Now that would be one expensive guitar these days.

I wonder if the complaint story is true, and if so, whether there actually was an obscenity or something else that got misunderstood by the customer. If you have trouble imagining how, consider the following:

I used to work at a Barnes & Noble store with one of those Starbucks-style cafes (Barnes & Noble Cafe serving Starbucks products. Get it right). Like at any Starbucks the employees write on your drink cup so that the person preparing it knows what you want (or don't). There are check boxes but they will also write ingredients/instructions, typically using abbreviations understood by all the employees.

One day this one lady stormed up to the counter with her drink, mad as hell, demanding to know why the girl who took her order would insult her like that with what she wrote on her cup. It took a moment to understand just what the problem was. After all, the girl just wanted to make sure whoever was preparing the drink knew that the customer wanted it sweetened.

1.jpg

In retrospect, it's easy to see how things got out of hand.

6tzguy, IrishB, Fretting out and 3 others like this.
  14. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

It's a good job that the customer wasn't called Clint, and didn't get his name written on the cup.

15. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

What did she think it meant?

16. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

Turn the middle letter into two letters and think of an insult typically aimed at a woman. Rhymes with "nut".

Keep in mind that what you see here is just my recreation today, and the original was written in a rush on a tightly curved surface.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

Thanks for clearing this out, that’s really interesting.
    As @SixStringSlinger said, that would be an extremely collectible guitar if it still exists today!
    It seems really plausible indeed.
    On the second picture where you can see the side of the guitar, it’s become yellow too, and the whiter areas are clearly along the edge where it gets more wear.

hemingway likes this.
  18. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

Legends about obscenities written on fender necks are just that,legends. I’ve heard this story since the 80s and I’ve never seen evidence and none of the experts I know have seen one. The story makes no sense. If that were the reason then why start dating them again? Here’s my last word. If there are no pics then it didn’t happen

19. _Presto_

_Presto_ Tele-Meister

My ‘59 Esquire has the same white burst coming through, though not as pronounced as on that retrofret beauty.

It’s definitely showing more on edges that see more action / wear....so matches the less clear coat theory. I’ll try and get some pictures for reference.

Mine has no neck date also, I’d always wondered why they stopped that for a while in ‘59....didn’t expect hidden neck obscenities to be the reason! (which it probably isn’t hah)

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    EsquireBoy likes this.
  20. _Presto_

_Presto_ Tele-Meister

Was hard to capture properly in photos, but here they are anyways:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.