59 Bassman original not reissue in TN

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Ringo, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

So many other amps, big older USA iron, available for a tiny fraction of that.

Still, Henderson is not that far off of I-40. Might be fun to check it out.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The non-original speakers hurt its value greatly, ime/imho. The corners that have been added hurt it considerably, too. I would rather see natural wear on those exposed tweed corners. Other than that, the cab looks good. The chassis chrome is excellent. The description and photos leave much unsaid. I wish him luck, but imho, his asking price is quite a bit high. If I were interested, I would make a counteroffer...after hearing it...for the amp without the speakers. He would likely decline.
    This amp is in the player grade, imho. A set of 4 date-matching Jensen P10R’s, if they could be found, would cost one a considerable amount of money.....well over $1K. And then you still have those metal corners...or the holes if you remove them. It is a pity that those corners were installed.

Mayas caster, rangercaster and muchxs like this.
  5. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Don't forget the extra holes from the '60s style replacement handle.

It's been messed with just enough to knock it out of the big money.

Way out of the big money.

Those JBLs might be value added in a SF Super Reverb. A vintage tweed takes a big hit without its original speakers especially a Bassman. Just try to find four matching Jensens with nominally correct date codes.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    rolandson and Wally like this.
  6. Wally

I did not even see that black handle there. Definitely player grade. Your friend probably has very few 2020 dollars in the amp. My Guess is that If one figures for inflation and does not figure in whatever those JBLs cost, he has maybe a thousand dollars in it...For his purchase cost in today’s money. He can’t get hurt; but the only way he finds a willing buyer at anything close to that asking price is IF he finds an un-informed novice to the vintage amp market. fwiw, exposing it here sort of messes with the chance of that happening to some extent.

muscmp likes this.
  7. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

@Wally and @muchxs, both right on.
    Couple of caps replaced, still has the selenium rectifier.
    Doghouse caps not shown.
    JBLs in that cab will tear it apart if transported much.
    Beautiful amp. I have one and they are great.
    But that is ludicrously overpriced.

Wally, muchxs and corliss1 like this.
  8. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Corners can be taken off I believe he has the original speakers too. Tough crowd...
    I've seen really beat up worn tweed Bassmans going for big $.
    I don't have any dog in this fight just posted because it is a clean old tweed Fender.
    No offense to Wally or Muchxs but you guys wouldn't be buyers anyway

Teleguy61 likes this.
  9. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

You may have seen people asking that much, but did they get that much. Nope, ain't going to happen.

10. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Asking price and selling price are two different things.

Can't speak for Wally but I'm not a buyer at half that price.

The way we do it with antique cars and motorcycles is we buy two (or more) beaters to make one good one. This would be a big money amp if someone bought one with a hacked chassis and combined the two. Trick would be to find two player grade amps at player grade prices. Put the best of them into one "restored" amp, you're in the big money.

Had one pop up locally under $5k in better condition.

It used to be guys harvested beat up guitars in Nashville and sold 'em in New York. I guess I should harvest "vintage" gear in New York and schlep it down to Nashville.

Anything left in the van after Nashville, I'll keep driving to Texas and split it up with Wally.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

artdecade, Dacious and Wally like this.
  11. Wally

I realize that the corners are not permanently attached. I acknowledged as much when 8 said the option was to hVe the covers there or to have holes. Personally, if I ended up with such an amp, I would fashion some tan leather corners for it.
    I come from a time when an amp like this might not get a look...especially from vintage value aware buyers..except as a player. I never put so much into one of these vintage amps that I lose money, and I have had quite a number of them.
    I have had beautiful tweed amps that got NO ENQUIRIES from anyone at shows back in the ‘90’s due to the lack of original condition....like replaced tweed. and....I am aware that today there are a lot of people lay8ng down big money for non-original and much less than excellent cosmetics.
    if you think this amp is worth some big money get after it. It is for sale...it is a 1959 Bassman with a mostly unmolested circuit from what little we can see. I’ll be very frank about it. If that amp came to me, I might offer $3k for it....if the transformers are original and functional....and if the 3/16” baffleboard is not cracked up from the weight of those JBLs. There is considerable expense in the necessary work there, and there is the expense of outfitting it with suitable speakers that would allow the amp to be what it should be. Not: if the original speakers are there, that helps....but the cab bothers me big time...from experience with such things. After all is said and done, I would be asking $5500 for it, and a good offer might buy it for less. I am a realistic and fair person.
    So, yes, I am not anywhere near giving $11K for it. If it were entirely original and in excellent condition, then the asking price is such that a deal could be discussed. are you a buyer at the asking price.....with due respect back at you.

muchxs likes this.
  12. Wally

13. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

If your friend has the original jensens, I’d tell him to slap them in there and sell the jbl’s separately, even if they need a recone. It will help the sale. So would finding a suitable reissue leather handle. Silly, but appearances talk at that value.

Wally likes this.
  14. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A while back a fellow came in the shop driving a '57 Chevy, it was original, and tired, and smoking, but still had most of it's paint. He paid me to install a "crate" 350 engine complete with a late model carb, and electronic ignition. When he picked it up he was really excited to get it back, his brother had sold it for him, for $10.5. I told him if he had kept the thing original, I'm sure he could get twice that!

Wally likes this.
  15. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

I have the 59 reissue bassman, sounds great...only cost a tad over a 1000

16. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Buyers looking for that bassman are typically looking for it to be original, as much as possible.
    While this doesn't coincide with a good amp to be playing, the fact that numerous companies are making perfect replicas of everything tweed for around a grand has siphoned off part of the people looking for "player grade" stuff.
    With a 5e3, having one speaker in a shoe box in good shape isn't uncommon. With a 5e5, it's harder to maintain a 15" reasonably. Way harder still to keep a quartet of 10s from a bassman.
    That's before other stuff.
    It's a cool amp. But the target market are typically cutthroat about the details. And that's the type of buyer a $10k bassman attracts....

robrob likes this.
  17. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

It's an $11k Bassman after you spend $100 in gas to get to Tennessee.

18. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Absurdly priced for the reasons already mentioned. I'll add one more, the market for big amps is drying up considerably. In the year 2020, this is too big of an amp to realistically gig anywhere, so what? It goes to a collector who plays it at home? A 4x10 Bassman at home?!?

I sold my old Super Reverb not too long ago and it was a painful process that took about 9 months. 10 years ago it would've taken 3 weeks tops.

19. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

11k? Your friend has lost the plot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.