'59 Bassman, Need Headroom

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by cbodie73, Apr 3, 2014.

1. cbodie73

cbodie73 TDPRI Member

First of all, I have to say that the TDPRI forum has been very impressive!
    I have a '59 Bassman "boutique" built by some guys who work at Mojotone some 16 years ago. The circuit is an exact copy of Fender Bassman circuit, which makes it basically the same as the Marshall.
    It has Mojotone speakers made to break up.
    Last amp tech said I can get headroom by replacing speakers with 4 10" Jensons. Will this work? Any other way to get headroom?
    I play surf, sometimes with a Tele.

2. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Sure if you have lower wattage Mojotones, then replacing with 50W Jensons will reduce speaker break-up.

Also consider the tubes you're using, does your amp have 3 x 12AX7's in the pre-amp positions?

3. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Put 4 Emi Red Fang's in there. You'll get some clean volume.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Also, a 12AY7 in V1 and 12AT7 as a PI

5. steveneddy

steveneddy Tele-Meister

And order some 6L6's that don't break up easily.

When I order from Tube Depot I ask for clean and high number tested tubes - they will not break up as fast if pushed hard.

I have in my Bassmans 5751 in V1, Mullard 12AX7 inV2 and a 12AY7 in the PI - along with those tighter 6L6's makes for one sweet sounding rig.

6. cbodie73

cbodie73 TDPRI Member

This forum is so AWESOME! I can't say enough good stuff!!

Yeah the speakers are a good start. I'll look at the Jensen's and EMI's. I sure don't want this thing to become like my 70s Silverface Twin Reverb. That's what concerns me with Jensens. Standing in front it would melt your ears, two feet over you couldn't hear it.

Already got a 12AY7 in the amp. Just got a new set of tubes from TheTubeStore (Bassman Kit). In addition to aforementioned, it got the 6L6GC and 5AR4.

These amps are so nice. Over the years I've had tons of compliments from excited people concerning the tone. This amp even warranted a flight case, so we're pretty a much a committed couple. Though she's always breaking up on/with me, we get back together. (Laugh here) :lol:

7. johnb

johnb Tele-Meister

Hey cbodie! A Columbia native (somewhat) here. Played around town from '68 - '87. Now live near Atlanta.
    Try the Jensen Mod 50s. They are fairly cheap and will handle the power easily. They have somewhat of a Brit flavor and should work well with your Bassman. I have 4 in my Super Reverb and like them. Yes it will/could get loud but you wanted more headroom.

8. cbodie73

cbodie73 TDPRI Member

Johnb
    Cool Dude! We're playing Jake's May. Used to be Rockafellas back in the day if you remember that. I ALWAYS wanted to play there back in the early 90's, and now 20+ years later, I can scratch off that bucket-list item.
    Rock on, Man!!!

9. johnb

johnb Tele-Meister

Maybe I'll find an excuse to get back then. I was there for the Blues Fest last fall. Some friends were playing in the Frank Smoak Tribute Band.
    He was a great guitar player and one of the best people you could know.

10. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Weber...

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

Fender's demo clips for the '59 Bassman reissue with the Jensen's...there's like 6 different clips, different amp settings....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.