1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

59 Bassman LTD

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tshoe71, Feb 19, 2021.

1. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

So yesterday I ordered one of these. 18 months into playing guitar and making great progress, I’ve also passed through a few different phases of G.A.S. Among them and through them I’ve established that the Tele feel/tone is the guitar for me and the Fender amps are my cup of tea as well. I had a VOX AC30 that just didn’t do it for me. I have a Marshall Origin 50h and 4x12 that I do enjoy BUT reliably my ToneMaster Twin Reverb is far and away the sound I enjoy most.

Thing is while I’ve tried Marshall and Vox tubes, with the ToneMaster being SS, I’ve not as yet owned a Fender tube amp. Besides the tone, I love the history and heritage of the Fenders which led me to the Bassman. I toyed with the idea of MANY other Fender amps, but the Tweed, the 4x10, the heritage and the sound clips I heard online of the Bassman made it my choice.

I’m excited for my first Fender tube and very interested to see how it compares to my TM TR. I’m curious to know what other opinions are of this amp and if there’s any known issues/things I should be aware of once it arrives.

-shoe

Deathray, MrGibbly, Blister and 4 others like this.
  2. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I am looking at Fender amps right now and seriously considered a Bassman. If I hadn't just dropped the cash on an American Pro Strat a few days ago, I would put out the cash for a used Bassman. But after that expenditure, I am trying to keep the cost of the amp a bit lower (buying used), particularly as I have an AC30 so this will be a second amp not my only one.

3. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Sounds like you don't know where the shallow end is... Nor do you care. LOL

Good on ya!

Seriously, the Bassman is a foundation, a very solid foundation! Love my Bassman. Sadly, it took me almost 35 years of playing before I owned one. So, let me welcome you tot the club! Congrats!

4. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

Haha! Well I definitely went into the deep end pretty quickly but thankfully I think by getting the TM TR I got hooked on that classic Fender tone and style and then with BB King being one of my favorite guitarists, I went for guitar straight into amp purity and realized so much of a player’s tones is in their hands not the gear. Got a few pedals but thankfully...so far...I have some quality ones but few in quantity.

And you hit the nail on the head with the Bassman. I want a very solid foundation classic Fender tube amp and that’s exactly what I got. Appreciate the welcome and can’t wait to hear it for the first time!

Axis29 and King Fan like this.
  5. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I think you should compare it with the Origin more than with the TWin Reverb. Actually, I had the three amps, a real Twin Reverb (not a Tone Master), a Bassman 59 LTD and now I own two Origin 50. When I got the Origin, I sold the Bassman... really. You can get to Bassman sounds with the Origin but not Marshall tones with the Marshall. But that is only my opinion

6. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

@tshoe71, good for you. You got it with B.B.: tone is in the fingers. Can’t vouch for it, but I’ve heard he was playing a Bassman, supposedly a 5F6a, on Live At The Regal, and more definitely a tweed Twin on the Deuces Wild album...

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yup.
    Just don't judge it harshly until you break in the speakers.
    4x10 is magic for club gigs, and microphones like small speakers, so the 10s are a winner.
    I'd love to try one and compare it to my '58.

8. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

I definitely plan to do so. As with the Bassman, I added the Origin as I wanted a Marshall 4x12 foundation. As a kid of the 80’s who loved VH and GN’R no way that wasn’t gonna happen! So far though, I just haven’t connected with it...at least with the Tele. I do have one of the Epi 60’s Les Pauls and with that the connection is better for me. I knew going in the Origin was a pedal platform/blank canvas platform. I see it as my pedal playground rig. Just need to spend more time with it.

9. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

No one for me was better than Ol’ B. I was lucky enough to see him 5 times before he passed. Most of those I went alone as I could get one ticket in the front rows to just focus on watching him play. Just like EVH it was really something to watch.

Live at the Regal is one of my favorite albums. The rawness of his playing and the crowd interaction is so cool in that one.

10. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

I’ve read a lot of talk about the Jensens and folks not liking them. Read a lot about Weber’s as replacements. I know it’s a different beast but the neo Jensens in my TMTR I really like and given the Fender/Jensen history I’m going to give the stock setup lots of time.

11. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My LTD came with the Jensens. They're ok for low and medium volume playing but they get harsh when pushed. IMO they're not the best speaker in higher powered amps and better suited for smaller amps like the PRRI.

I put a set of Webers in mine. A pair of 10A125's in the top and a pair of 10F150's on the bottom. It was a tone MONSTER with those speakers! I used to call that amp my "heavy artillery" for when I wanted to me sure I'd have no trouble being heard at a gig.

I have since had my LTD completely gutted and rebuilt as a vintage spec 5F6A (including transformers). I changed out the 10F150's for another pair of 10A125's (so it's a quad of them now). It's more delicate and sounds unbelievably "vintage-y". Just beautiful sounding. There was nothing wrong with my LTD, but reading forums I got so curious what an actual 5F6A would sound like I took the plunge and had mine rebuilt.

In the end the speakers are a matter of preference. I found the Jensens harsh and flubby in the lows when turned up. The Webers sound ridiculously good at all volumes. The 59BM is a FANTASTIC foundational amp. It sounds awesome with pedals and is fantastic at gigs. Not so much because you can play loud enough to take the paint off low flying aircraft, but rather that you don't HAVE to turn it up that loud to be heard. The 410 open back cab has a really nice spread and isn't "beamy" where you have a kill zone directly in front of the amp. It also has more pronounced mids and as such cuts through a band mix without requiring punishing volume. It's heavy but not so heavy it's agonizing to move, and the size of it also isn't too cumbersome. It's simple, straightforward, and it's hard to get a bad sound out of one. There's a reason the reissues have been in the Fender lineup continuously since about 1990.

charlie chitlin likes this.
  12. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

An Origin is not a JCM800 or JCM900 to get 80's or 90's hair glam distortion... is more a JTM45 regarding tone and gain level. If you want that dist levels you need pedals

colchar likes this.
  13. Blister

Blister Tele-Meister

The 59 Bassman reissue is the most harmonically beautiful sounding to the human ear period.

Axis29 likes this.
  14. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

@tshoe71
    Coming from that Tone Master Twin, you may end up missing the reverb and tremolo, but its a small price for the upgrade (IMHO) in tone! I really don't understand why Fender doesn't include even a simple, passive effects loop in everything they build. I realize that many may consider it blasphemy, but this would make it easy to "add" reverb to the old Tweed designs! I include at least a passive loop in everything I build, for that very reason, as well as being a total echo junkie!
    Just Sharon,
    Gene

15. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I love mine!

16. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

It's a great amp and congrats!

I wouldn't judge the TMTR by the Bassman, though, because a regular TR and a Bassman sound pretty different. But big warm clean is there and I personally prefer it to blackface sparkly clean.

And forget new speakers for now, you're going to need earplugs first!

17. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Yeah you will need pedals. As pointed out, that amp isn't suited to '80s metal.

The early '83 JCM800 2203 I used to have was made for that stuff. Or that stuff was made on that amp. Either way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.