1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5751 Tube Recommendations

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by yeatzee, Nov 12, 2016.

1. yeatzee

yeatzee Tele-Meister

I want to bring down the gain a bit in my AC10 and people rave about the 5751 tube swap so that is what I'm going for. The world of NOS tubes and whatnot is daunting to say the least, trying to parcel whats good whats not etc is tough for me at this point so I need some help from the more seasoned guys in the tube swap world. Typing 5751 tube into ebay gives me this...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...RC2.A0.H0.X5751+.TRS0&_nkw=5751+tube&_sacat=0

An endless amount of tubes varying from the brand new $14.50 JJ 5751 to a $150 vintage 5751 tube and beyond. From what I'm told and what I see there are tons of options in the ~$30 budget, but I can't figure out what to go for and what to avoid. Like I said theres the JJ variant, which to tube aficionados might be gross but than again lots of people run JJ stuff and have no issues (i've got JJ EL84s in the amp now and they are fine) so I'm not sure if thats a viable route (for a pre-amp swap im more hessitant because I know it will affect the tone noticeably vs powertubes) or should I enter the other world with stuff like this for a couple bucks more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-5751-Pre...763372?hash=item360cba332c:g:jJgAAOSwB09YJ0gV

http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-NOS-GE-...364535?hash=item25c6477ff7:g:4vYAAOSw8w1YAkBN

In short I'd love either a link to a good 5751 tube to buy on ebay, or some buzzwords to look out for to pick up a nice NOS tube, or if I should just go the JJ route since it'll get me there and I wont realistically notice a tonal difference after paying double for a NOS version.

Thanks guys

2. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

I have tried the JJ 5751 and find them a bit thin sounding, best I have found so far are NOS RCA, very mellow and full sounding tubes. You will find the amp slightly less 'sparkly' with 5751, 12ay7 might be a better choice if it's just the gain you want to change.

3. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

To my ears, the JAN Philips 5751 from the 1980's production runs works exceptionally well in your amp. I wouldn't waste another penny on a new production 5751.

InAbsentia likes this.
  4. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I've used these also with no complaints.

5. yeatzee

yeatzee Tele-Meister

How do I identify those? What's a reasonable price to pay?

6. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I purchased a couple of NOS JAN-Philips 5751 from thetubestore a while ago when they were about $20. Sweet tubes.

Thetubestore site now says "no longer available" and the other sites I looked at were asking about $50. You might look for Good UOS JAN 5751 on line and find something reasonably priced that will work just as well and sound better than new production tubes.

7. yeatzee

yeatzee Tele-Meister

Yeah I'm not ready to spend $50 without having any idea if thats the sound I want or not. What about the ones I linked on my original post? The GE Short Grey Plate NOS ones. They go for just under $30 and are plentiful it seems.

8. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

Both the JAN Philips 5751 and the 1980's production GE 5751s tend to sound a little darker than your typical 12AX7A, but that is not a problem in the Vox. However, the GE does have a trebley edge that the Philips does not.

Either will sound better than anything you can get from new production.

InAbsentia likes this.
  9. yeatzee

yeatzee Tele-Meister

Is the short grey plate indicative of 1980s production?

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeatzee, you might email me.

11. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Yep GE for a little bit of bite in the tube, Sylvania Philips a little softer sounding, tiny bit more compressed. Their the 2 best I've tried. You can get JAN designation in both brands.

12. Opaltone

Opaltone Tele-Holic

Tonal characteristics vary with manufacturer, and various versions of 5751 from different production periods. If you want to get specific about your tonal wishes, then there are reasons to look for a 3-mica black-plate RCA 5751 over a 3-mica black-plate GE 5751, for example.

The more common 2-mica gray-plate GE 5751 are a good starting point. You can pay more and get better signal clarity.

FWIW - I've never found 5751 satisfactory, myself. Though they're lower gain still than the 5751, I've found 12AY7 to have a better feel, when going to a lower-mu 12AX7 sub.

- T

13. InAbsentia

InAbsentia TDPRI Member

14. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.