57 Tremolux

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by AlbertaGriff, Jul 30, 2019.

1. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Hi again... after a few failed attempts at grabbing new amps, I'm now looking at what I believe to be a '57 Tremolux with a reproduction cabinet. Amp looks totally stock from the photos I've seen. Not even sure if its been upgraded to a 3-prong cord.

The only knock against the amp's originality is both the cabinet and the speaker. Speaker doesn't really bug me, but the cab is an Armadillo reproduction (seems to be of high quality at least).

My question is how much does this reduce the value of the amp? And what would be a fair price for an amp like this?

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

It would be a major hit for me. Easily half the cost. An unserviced Tremolux with replaced cab and speaker is gonna get you a wide range of prices. I wouldn't be interested in it a all, but I'd expect it to sell for the $700-1000 range maybe? It may be an item that is worth more parted out to the right person.

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

All the ones on Reverb for sale right now are easily priced twice of what they should be or more, so take that into consideration. No one is spending 5K on those amps right now :D

BobbyZ likes this.
  4. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The value takes a BIG hit when something like the cabinet is a repro. It's now a utility amp and has lost its collectible value. That said, it's probably still around a $1K amp.

Remember, there was a flood in Nashville,TN a few years back. Look for signs of rust.

Many amps lost their cabinets and speakers at that time.

RodeoTex likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

It's a big hit for sure, but if the amp itself is unmessed with mostly, and the face plate is good condition, I think it's worth a lot more than $1000. It amazes me how much just an incomplete Super Reverb chassis will sell for , last one I followed went for $470 + shipping on Ebay. A damn Super reverb which the whole amp is probably 600-700 if you look for a deal.
    It would cost $600 in parts alone to build a clone. So the real deal with a new cab at $1000-1500 ...........sure!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  6. AlbertaGriff

Yeah I was pretty surprised to see those numbers. The ask on this one is around 1500 usd.

I know a guy on reverb sold a 62 Princeton chassis for $1300 usd. I confirmed the amount with the seller.

This one at least has a good cab and speaker with it.

But I have no idea what anything is worth these days.

7. AlbertaGriff

Also would a 57 be a 5e9-a or a 5g9? This one has no doghouse, filter caps are in the chassis.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  8. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Holic

The '57 should be a 5g9 if I remember correctly.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  9. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

According to ampwares, 5g9 was 1957 onward. Was there overlap that year? Dunno. Do know the 5G9s almost all had old 5e9a-labeled tube charts in em :-/ How sure are we of the date?

You’re right though. Easy way to tell 'em apart is 5g9 had doghouse filters and a green selenium bias diode in the area left of the board. So if original filters on board that might indeed be a 5e9a...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  10. AlbertaGriff

Interesting, thanks. Seller said 54, but I know they didn't start making them till 55. A number I saw stamped on the chassis made me think 57, but it might not have been a serial.

11. King Fan

I'm not sure, but I suspect a 5G9 might be more broadly sought after than a 5e9a. The latter, although not 'just a 5e3 with trem' (as it's often described) is not all *that* different -- the 5G9 is distinctive.

AlbertaGriff and High Head Brad like this.
  12. AlbertaGriff

Thanks for the advice, folks!

13. AlbertaGriff

Confirmed it's all stock in the chassis except for one of the bias filter caps. Tubes look old but couldn't tell the brand.

Is 1500 usd too much for a 55-57 Tremolux chassis in a high quality new cab and Weber alnico speaker?

High Head Brad likes this.
  14. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Where I live, no. If it were in my parts, I’d start putting together the sum and planning a trip to go see it… should sound heavenly with that red tele of yours.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  15. King Fan

You see 'em asking north of $4000 and even $5000 in good to great vintage shape. For an actual 'sold' price on more average amps, Reverb has this:

upload_2019-7-31_8-12-6.png

The question is how much you wanted it as a collector/investment/vanity purchase (it lacks there) vs. how much you wanted it as a player (it could be very nice). As an amp to actually use, be aware if it's 'all original' it'll also need ~$100-$200 in service and parts.

16. AlbertaGriff

I think I'm leaning towards grabbing it.

Like RadioFM74, there aren't many tweed Fenders around these parts - original cab or not. And I really doubt they'd be in this condition at this price (one I can afford) again.

King Fan likes this.
  17. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Holic

Armadillo Amp Works makes some nice cabinets. I bought one for my 5E3 build.

lil scotty and AlbertaGriff like this.
  18. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

If someone is selling a tweed tremolux with original transformers for 1500, Id snag that up quick.

AlbertaGriff and Mike Eskimo like this.
  19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

^^^^ Either one !

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  20. AlbertaGriff

Well I bought it. Still needs to be shipped to me but my friend checked it out to make sure of it. Gonna need a servicing, but I am pretty excited to get my first Fender tweed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.